Paranoid new owner!!

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
Hi, new owner here and I know you guys must see these posts over and over but I just want to settle a few things in my head!
Got my first tarantula last week (brachipelma smithi) and just want to make sure these behaviours are normal? It's about 2inches in length and I'm feeding it small crickets (about 2cm). The guy at the shop said it would eat 2 crickets a week: I fed it the day after I got it and it ate fine however I tried feeding it again 2 days ago/today and it seemed totally disinterested/defensive. Just wanted to check what behaviours it would exhibit if it was genuinely not hungry compared to if it was in pre-molt? My tarantula seems pretty happy (enclosed photos of enclosure to triple check it's ok, the substrate is bone dry) so I'm wondering if I'm just being a paranoid new mum?
Wanted to try feeding it mealworms instead of crickets as I get paranoid about the crickets attacking it!
Thank you and apologies if you've seen similar posts a billion times before!

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Crickets are absolutely fine... if your spider isn't interested, simply he/she isn't hungry or maybe the premolt time is coming. Sometimes they need time for settle, even if the species in question isn't a obligate burrower, a week isn't that much.

Don't worry.

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
Crickets are absolutely fine... if your spider isn't interested, simply he/she isn't hungry or maybe the premolt time is coming. Sometimes they need time for settle, even if the species in question isn't a obligate burrower, a week isn't that much.

Don't worry.
Thank you so much!! Will maybe try again in a few days and see. Fingers crossed!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you so much!! Will maybe try again in a few days and see. Fingers crossed!
Yep, do that. Try to offer a prey later, if again there's a 'nope', don't worry. Gently remove the bugger (cricket, B.dubia, worm, doesn't matter) and do nothing. Just keep the water dish full.

The premolt is only a mere waiting game.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Brachypelma are known to go off of food for a decent amount of time. If you’re feeding them multiple times a week, be prepared for them fasting at one point or another. I had a B. emilia that I fed every week and it went off of food for three months (premolt). But if it does happen to do that, don’t freak out, it’s completelt normal.

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma are known to go off of food for a decent amount of time. If you’re feeding them multiple times a week, be prepared for them fasting at one point or another. I had a B. emilia that I fed every week and it went off of food for three months (premolt). But if it does happen to do that, don’t freak out, it’s completelt normal.
Thank You!!! This is great info, it seems absolutely fine so I'm not stressing too much- just making sure everything is normal!

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
yea just wait till it goes in premolt lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That enclosure looks huge for a 2 inch spider. As others said the appetite isn't a problem, my female B.emilia hasn't eaten for 2 months now.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your enclosure is excellent!

As others said, fasting is perfectly normal. As long as your sling's abdomen is plump and smooth (not wrinkly, as that would be a sign of dehydration) and they have a water bowl available you're good to go.

That enclosure looks huge for a 2 inch spider. As others said the appetite isn't a problem, my female B.emilia hasn't eaten for 2 months now.
Looks just like what our 1.5-2" Brachys are housed in.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
finally someone with a good enclosure, i dont see the water dish too well but whatever, yeah B. smithi is jut that guy, nice one second by devouring crickets by brutally murdering them but heat he next he doesn't even care you drove so far to get him some nice gourmet food(the same crickets), mines been in premolt for a month so just to give you an idea. If only my B. smithi was more like a H. pulchripes(a little piggy who is always hungry).
BTW idk but I move to using worms for my smithi it just loves them(super worms super easy to breed and nice and fat)

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
The water dish is in the corner behind the skull- and thanks! I've stressed so much about the enclosure and I'm glad you think it's ok. Thinking now it could be in pre-molt as it's abdomen is quite dark. Woke up this morning however and she's scrunched up right at the side- looks pretty stressed or is it about to flip itself over? (Sorry the photo is awful, didn't want to disturb it and stress it out more!!)

Attachments

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
The water dish is in the corner behind the skull- and thanks! I've stressed so much about the enclosure and I'm glad you think it's ok. Thinking now it could be in pre-molt as it's abdomen is quite dark. Woke up this morning however and she's scrunched up right at the side- looks pretty stressed or is it about to flip itself over? (Sorry the photo is awful, didn't want to disturb it and stress it out more!!)
yeah definitely dont disturb your T, they hate being disturbed. mine never uses its hide i worked so hard to make, and that position is pretty common. this is a pet rock I wouldn't expect it to do much anyways. want to ask though is that litter on the enclosure floor wood chips?

bibster

Arachnopeon
i have a b.smithi (2cm legspan) as well and its also my first T, got it more than one month ago and until 3 days ago it hasnt eaten anything and stood borrowed till then. i was really worried because i didnt see the little guy the whole month , not even a leg, everyone told me to chill and just let the spider do its thing, and it was true. 3 days ago i threw a prekilled roach and after the night it took it and also reopened the hide entrance. So yea, if it doesnt want to eat no need to freak out.

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
No it's not, I know it looks like it but I think I just didn't break the substrate up enough and it's clumped. Thanks for the info, will keep an eye and try feeding here again in a few days.
yeah definitely dont disturb your T, they hate being disturbed. mine never uses its hide i worked so hard to make, and that position is pretty common. this is a pet rock I wouldn't expect it to do much anyways. want to ask though is that litter on the enclosure floor wood chips?

GenevieveWit

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who posted replies in this- my T has burrowed itself and even had a prekilled mealworm that I left outside for it! Super happy and really enjoying owning a tarantula- can totally understand the addictive nature of it!!

cold blood

Staff member
Will maybe try again in a few days and see.
Keep in mind that ts will eat until they plump....then they will reach a point where food isn't required any longer. Your t looks pretty plump...food isn't critical, keep in mind, when it refuses, it could refuse food for months on end before molting...this isn't something to be concerned about when it happens.....notice I said when it happens and not if.
That substrate looks very moist. B. hamorii/smithi should be kept dry with a water dish.
Looks like fresh sub...not an issue....this isn't a desert species, they aren't offended by a little moisture...I dampen sections of sub for all my Brachys.

The water dish is in the corner behind the skull
Ahhh, skulls...I will never get the fascination with skulls in tarantula enclosures...lol...to each their own.... don't think there is a cheesier addition one can make to a t enclosure.:rolleyes: JMO though:)

For a beginner, you really did a good job with the set up...something to be proud of....most new people post pics of their set ups and it leads to 2 pages of how to fix things.

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
Ahhh, skulls...I will never get the fascination with skulls in tarantula enclosures...lol...to each their own.... don't think there is a cheesier addition one can make to a t enclosure.:rolleyes: JMO though:)
"Yo dude look my tarantula ate this plastic man's head crazy right"