Parabuthus transvaalicus Care?

CascadeJade

Arachnopeon
I'll start with saying I'm an experienced scorpion keeper, having owned one since I was 13. My uncle was very intrigued by these guys (and tarantulas) and owned nearly a hundred of them combined. Well, my uncle recently passed away unexpectedly. I've taken all of his collection, which was decently small. All of which I have experience with, except for the little guy mentioned in the title. He's about 2-3 inches long, stays hidden under his water dish, and quite frankly intimidates me a little. He's the only hot that was in the collection when he passed, and the only one I've ever owned. I have not been able to find anyone locally that's willing to take him, so I'm guess I will be caring for him at least for now.

ACTUAL CARE QUESTIONS:
He's currently in a large critter keeper, with about 4 inches of sand mixed with coconut fiber, three cork bark flats, and a water dish small enough that he can't drown in it. I have a heat pad made for the plastic tanks on the side, but it's not getting it hot enough. It's only staying at around 75° F. Obviously I cannot place a lamp directly on the critter keeper, would a larger heat pad be okay? If I get a larger size, it will cover nearly the entire back of the tank. I usually only use CHEs with my scorps, so this is uncharted territory for me. If anyone has other suggestions I'm open to hear them. He has a very large appetite thus far as well, one of the best feeding responses I've seen. I've seen a few times that the enclosure may need to be sprayed a few times a month with water on one side, is this still accurate at the size he is now?

*I am aware that his venom is medically significant. I don't handle any of my inverts and don't plan to start with him. This is never a species that I would've purchased myself, it was either me taking him or my cousins letting him go in the yard. So please don't leave negative comments, I'm doing the best I can.*

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
These things can also spray venom from the stinger, I think they might be the only ones that can. So be careful. If you use a heat pad make sure you use a thermostat. I’ve never kept these but I’m sure someone here has,

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I'll start with saying I'm an experienced scorpion keeper, having owned one since I was 13. My uncle was very intrigued by these guys (and tarantulas) and owned nearly a hundred of them combined. Well, my uncle recently passed away unexpectedly. I've taken all of his collection, which was decently small. All of which I have experience with, except for the little guy mentioned in the title. He's about 2-3 inches long, stays hidden under his water dish, and quite frankly intimidates me a little. He's the only hot that was in the collection when he passed, and the only one I've ever owned. I have not been able to find anyone locally that's willing to take him, so I'm guess I will be caring for him at least for now.

ACTUAL CARE QUESTIONS:
He's currently in a large critter keeper, with about 4 inches of sand mixed with coconut fiber, three cork bark flats, and a water dish small enough that he can't drown in it. I have a heat pad made for the plastic tanks on the side, but it's not getting it hot enough. It's only staying at around 75° F. Obviously I cannot place a lamp directly on the critter keeper, would a larger heat pad be okay? If I get a larger size, it will cover nearly the entire back of the tank. I usually only use CHEs with my scorps, so this is uncharted territory for me. If anyone has other suggestions I'm open to hear them. He has a very large appetite thus far as well, one of the best feeding responses I've seen. I've seen a few times that the enclosure may need to be sprayed a few times a month with water on one side, is this still accurate at the size he is now?

*I am aware that his venom is medically significant. I don't handle any of my inverts and don't plan to start with him. This is never a species that I would've purchased myself, it was either me taking him or my cousins letting him go in the yard. So please don't leave negative comments, I'm doing the best I can.*
Very hardy and very easy to raise species. I keep them at 85F-95F. They only require a misting of one side every one to two weeks preferably the walls (most important during premolt periods). These humidity spikes can facilitate a successful molt as the additional moisture will keep the exuvia soft.

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mount my heat on the bottom of the enclosures or if the pads too large, place my enclosures on top of the pad however far I need to. I just use washers ect to space the enclosures a lil above the mats, let them breathe. Works great for me!