Parabuthus transvaalicus babies

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While I was in Peru this one dropped. Unfortunately many were still born and you can see in the pic that the mother is eating them which is typical from my observations. Still, I have a few survivors it would appear. This brood is a little dissapointing but I still have Meatloaf and she will drop me a bunch of kids I bet;)

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool beans Brian. Did you get her as a WC adult or did you breed her yourself?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i love this species...are you going to be selling any of them?? or when Meatloaf drops haha

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello, Brian.

How common is it for them to eat most of their offspring?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aww its kinda sad seeing them eat their own. Especially of when you think of how defensive they get when they have their kids on their back. Ohh well thats nature for you.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool beans Brian. Did you get her as a WC adult or did you breed her yourself?
I bred her myself last August
In this photo the male is dropping the spermataphore

Here is the spermataphore. The break up was violent and I had to remove the male.

i love this species...are you going to be selling any of them?? or when Meatloaf drops haha
Yes I will be selling them. I already have several from 2 batches I produced last year and also have 5 or 6 from a totally different bloodline that I intend to breed when they are mature.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, Brian.

How common is it for them to eat most of their offspring?
Every species I have ever bred will eat undeveloped or dead newborns. She is only eating the ones that were born dead

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That makes me feel better :D now i know they were recycled.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Brian, nice brood... don't see too many of those around.

From that old picture it seems you didn't give that female much time after she molted to mate her. ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's awesome Brian. I think I have a mature male but he is only around 6 cm long. Does that sound unusual? By the way it's one of the babies you sent me. Is it about maturing time? I have two females but I'm not sure how to tell when they are mature. The male has much bigger chela after the last molt, but like I said, only around 6 cm. Almost the size of a big C. vittatus with a fat tail. The number of babies you have there is about the number I would like to work with. Congrats!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how long was the gestation period brian?>
From August 2006 to May 2007

That's awesome Brian. I think I have a mature male but he is only around 6 cm long. Does that sound unusual? By the way it's one of the babies you sent me. Is it about maturing time? I have two females but I'm not sure how to tell when they are mature. The male has much bigger chela after the last molt, but like I said, only around 6 cm. Almost the size of a big C. vittatus with a fat tail. The number of babies you have there is about the number I would like to work with. Congrats!
It takes about 2 years for these to mature IME. I doubt yours are mature by now. Remember a male will develop very bulbous chela at last molt. Show some pics of yours and it will be easy to tell if you have an adult male or not. They are larger than C vittatus when mature

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From that old picture it seems you didn't give that female much time after she molted to mate her. ;)
I actually mated her about 5 days after her last brood of kids had dispersed

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually mated her about 5 days after her last brood of kids had dispersed
Seems rather dull, like a soft exo.. Does this species have a softer one possibly? Although the male doesn't have much brilliancy, seems a little shinier than the female. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From August 2006 to May 2007

It takes about 2 years for these to mature IME. I doubt yours are mature by now. Remember a male will develop very bulbous chela at last molt. Show some pics of yours and it will be easy to tell if you have an adult male or not. They are larger than C vittatus when mature
Yeah, the chela look like the male you have in the pic there now, to me anyway. I'll post a pic later. Maybe I will send it to you in a PM because I have a pic of it in my palm, only to show it's size better, and I don't want to start a bunch of posts over it being in my hand. If in fact it is a mature male, I would wonder if heat (too much of it possibly) might have had something to do with it already being sexually mature(?) First things first though. I need to post the pic. I'm out of town and will post the pic later.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems rather dull, like a soft exo.. Does this species have a softer one possibly? Although the male doesn't have much brilliancy, seems a little shinier than the female. :)
I dont know, it may be just the lighting because it isnt soft

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice and detailed pics, I don't think in the pics that they look too soft, my two adults are both pretty light purple in colouration. Anyways Nice job man :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since my females brood has left and she has fed a few times I figure I would keep this factory moving so my studly male was introduced into the female's enclosure. It was love at first site as always. The courtship lasted about 30 minutes. Much longer than the typical Tityus or Centruroides pairing.

Here is the male's spermataphore