Parabuthus Liosoma

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Is there a possibility that a male liosoma will come out of a parthenogenetic female? Thank you

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Parabuthus maximus, which is formerly P. liosoma is not parthenogenetic.
Although I've heard many rumors they are - no valid data is available to support the facts of P liosoma/ Maximus being parthenogenetic
I'd say it's more of the fact they get wild caught gravid females that just magically produce broods on their own LOL

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although I've heard many rumors they are - no valid data is available to support the facts of P liosoma/ Maximus being parthenogenetic
I'd say it's more of the fact they get wild caught gravid females that just magically produce broods on their own LOL
Yep, they come in gravid and people assume they're parthenogenetic. @ArachnoDrew and @brandontmyers are correct as well!

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
We do not have WC P Maximus here in the philippines, most of the keepers here goy their liosoma/maximus from 2i then once it goes to 7i they do became gravid. . .

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Like grom, Brandon and Scorpionluva I don't believe them to be parthenogenic but maybe @Vixvy can help shed light on this. I believe he has an add up in the classifieds for some liosoma/maximus slings and if I'm not mistaken I think he might be from the Philippines too.

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. maximus is not parthenogenetic...

Here is a recent list of species known to be parthenogenetic:
http://www.ibiologia.unam.mx/html/pub/Francke_RIA16_93_104.pdf

A few of these species are observably kept in captivity:
Tityus serrulatus, Tityus trivittatus, Tityus stigmurus, Tityus uruguayensis (kept by very few individuals), Tityus confluens, Liocheles australasiae, Hottentotta hottentotta, Tityopsis inexpectatus (also only kept by a few), Paravaejovis spinigerus, and now Lychas tricarinatus (=Lychas sp. nov from Odisha Buripada, India).

Remember too that there are different types of parthenogenesis; parthenogenesis is relatively rare in scorpions.

Last edited:

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
So if it's not parthenogenetic, how is it that p maximus here can pop withouth any mate? Im confuse again

Is it possible that we have different type of sp here? I'll send you some pics later for confirmation

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The specimens are either WC adult females that are already gravid or someone bred the P. maximus and is lying to you or mistaken. Some breeders in the Philippines were also rumoring that H. longimanus was parthenogenetic, but this was a mistake. It is likely the same with P. maximus. Neither species have been observed to be parthenogenetic.

That's not likely, but you can send photos or post them here...the latter is probably better so that other people can see them too.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
We
The specimens are either WC adult females that are already gravid or someone bred the P. maximus and is lying to you or mistaken. Some breeders in the Philippines were also rumoring that H. longimanus was parthenogenetic, but this was a mistake. It is likely the same with P. maximus. Neither species have been observed to be parthenogenetic.

That's not likely, but you can send photos or post them here...the latter is probably better so that other people can see them too.
We've never have a WC P Maximus here, if ever they're breeding it with a different SP then shouldn't there be a scorpling that has a different color? I've read from an article onlinr that not all P Maximus are parthenogenetic, with regards to h longimanus being parthenogenetic, i can vouch for it since I've experienced it first hand. Got a 6i then molted into 7i, after a couple of months it went gravid. Not unless they can store sperm in they're body and not disappear while molting. Tomorrw I'll send a picture of my P. Maximus

p.estudillo

Arachnopeon
Been a while I haven't visited this website. So after almost a decade (I think maximus was introduce in the Philippines 2010? my memory is rusty lol), no one believed this fact and it's still a "rumor".

I hope the guys here have read the publication called Parthenogensis in Scorpions: Some history by Dr. Lourenco. Perhaps that would give them some idea about the possibilities of having parthenogenetic group, how the geolocation and temperature affects the gender of the offsprings. We are actually lucky to have witnessed this phenomenon in our country, where males died one at a time until they no longer exist.

-Pierry

That's my P Maximus

Last edited: