Parabuthus leiosoma feeding question

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, I've been having a slight problem when I'm feeding my P. leiosoma. She's got the "sting first and ask question later" mentality when I feed her crickets . . . but only crickets. I don't blame her for ignoring my roaches (none of my scorpions like those), but if I try a mealworm, she completely ignores it. If I offer the mealworm, she runs in fear. If I leave it in there and let it crawl toward her, she just ignores it.

Any pointers? I really don't want to have to go back to crickets on a regular basis . . .

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had a simular problem with my Buthucas sp. and Andructonus. They don't accept meal worms or superworms. Only a couple of them have taken a meal worm and thats when they've been so hungry because I hadn't fed them in a while. They all seem to only want crickets.

Sharon

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have the same experience. I feed mine solely crickets. Sometimes she just stings the cricket, let it run away and die somewhere, and later on she fetches it and takes it to her scrape.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you tried just leaving it in front of her burrow? One the rare occasion I feed a small vertebrae it only works if it wiggles in front of there for an hour or so.

You should see if you can get a few crix a week from osu so you don't have to worry about her. You do pay tuiton don't you!! {D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where would I find crickets on campus? The zoo doesn't have any.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how often do you feed your scorps? Any of my Parabuthus and Androctonus will eat a mealworm when they're hungry. I would just throw the mealworm in their enclosure, leave it there until they take it or till it dies. :D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The zoo only has a couple predators, and we feed them our excess hissers.

Re: quiz
I suppose I can give that another try. I'll see her with her pincers in the "I'm hungry" pose, but she's never taken a mealworm. At least they won't burrow into the sandy substrate as easily. It's just kind of frustrating seeing her go from "OHBOYACRICKETYUMMYYUMMY!" to "why'd you bother tossing that thing in here?" :rolleyes:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess you were right, Quiz. I saw her in her hidey-hole last night with her pincers WIDE open, so I thought I'd try a B. lat one last time before conceding to buying crickets. I threw it in there, and she ran after it like you wouldn't believe!! :eek: At least, I couldn't believe it. The roach kept outrunning her, but whenever it came close she'd run after it. She finally caught it and proceeded to sting it repeatedly and violently before dragging it back to her coconut shell.

All in all, a fun evening! :D

Now, if only my feeder roaches would repopulate . . . but that's another thread.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So if all else fails... starve it! He proved beggers can't be choosers! good job.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess you were right, Quiz. I saw her in her hidey-hole last night with her pincers WIDE open, so I thought I'd try a B. lat one last time before conceding to buying crickets. I threw it in there, and she ran after it like you wouldn't believe!! :eek: At least, I couldn't believe it. The roach kept outrunning her, but whenever it came close she'd run after it. She finally caught it and proceeded to sting it repeatedly and violently before dragging it back to her coconut shell.

All in all, a fun evening! :D

Now, if only my feeder roaches would repopulate . . . but that's another thread.
I share this experience. I recived a P. Liosoma yesterday, and it was kinda thin. One little roach later and I've never seen a scorp hunt so activly before. Damn!