parabuthis

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys i am looking top get somthing of the spices parabuthis and with ones are the best to buy.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Will this be your first scorpion? Not only does the genus Parabuthis have some medical significance, some species can spray their venom which can be dangerous if it gets in your eyes. Not a genus to be kept by anyone without considerable experience.

If I have misread your experience, please forgive me.

Cheers,
Dave

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, no this will not be my first scorpion i have 1 scropio maurs, pandnus cavamanus,1 ophistothalmus walberghi and 1 hottetotta trilluneatus.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I do not recommend this scorpion genus for anyone with less than 3 years exp. or at least a GT score of 120 (common sense basically. I care not for book smarts on this subject).
If you are VERY experienced, you could go with any of the Parabuthus scorpions you can find, though you obviously should go to a person who keeps the scorpion first (as you have already correctly done by posting this message to begin with). Nothing on your species list really fits the bill as far as exact keeping goes.
Your best bet would be P. liosoma until you have more experience with Parabuthus scorps. Afterwards, you could get more in depth to the genus with P. heterurus or transvaalicus as the common three in the trade go. Do keep in mind, these scorps are more dangerous, though they may not be as potent as Hottentota trilineatus/polystictus (whichever you may actually have) for certain species. I would say P. liosoma because they are generally smaller and do not inject the large quantity of venom such as the other two.
I will give you one word of warning though. Five days ago I put a 3.5-4 inch long locust in with a 2 inch P. liosoma. The liosoma was quickly angered when the locust went mid air, and though the scorp did not have time to release a large amount of venom, the sheer impact sent the locust to the other side of the tank. Immediately it was dead. And this is the one I would recommend more than the other two.

edw.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
What's a GT score? Or do I automatically not have a 120 for not knowing?

Anyhow, XO- Have you seen any of them project venom like I have been told they can?

Bill

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GT score...how to explain...
:?
Well, for starters, you must be able to tie your shoe. If you cannot, please go away from this forum until someone has taught you how. Next, you must know what danger is and how to stay away from it. Sorry, I forgot a lot of people here have never taken the test. Aside from the tasteless jokes,

I have never seen a Parabuthus spray or "spit" venom in any way, though I keep a pair of safety glasses handy just in case I am shown differently. I have seen some VERY upset Parabuthus along with some very large and aggressive prey. If I ever do, I'll make sure I video tape it, otherwise, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut about it. Until it is caught on tape, nobody will have any faith in the person who says it anyway. If it is possible, it would take a lot of energy out of the scorp to do it and therefor scorps would do it few and far between, rather than every time someone tried to test the scorp. Faithless people ignore the thought because they cannot believe in what they do not see (no, I'm not refering to religion... *lol*).

later,
edw.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Steve055, I believe it was, said that he saw a Parabuthid spit venom in a documentary a month or two ago. As for having faith, if Polis said they do, I'm willing to take his word for it (and, concequentialy, the word of the articles he referenced).

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave,
It appears as though you and I both share the intelligence of having faith in the words of another peson. I call it common sense because it simply keeps me out of trouble. Well stated and thank you for the reference of who the person/persons were who stated it in the past and more recently.

adios,
edw.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes it was me that saw the parabuthis projecting venom, i wish i could find out what show it was on. It was a short 5 sec clip at the very begining of the show. It was a Parabuthus transvaalicus spaying vemon at what looked like a large assasin beetle.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Intruiging enough, steve055.
If you do happen to see it again, try to get info on which show it was. I'd like to see that. Heck, I'd order the friggin video from the network, just to watch it. Twould be the scorpion highlight of my month! heheh...

later,
edw.

PS: I like the pic you have under the name. Nice way to combine scorp and T/ spider. =D

Last edited:

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have indeed seen my Parabuthus "spray" its venom on two (2) occassions...it isn't a streamlike spray, but more like that from an aerosol can...misting or vapor-like.

I used to have his cage by my Pterinochilus murinus (Orange Baboon), and whenever the two "met", so to say, at the sides of the cage, my Parabuthus would spray as if in defense.

This was many years ago when I bought my first T, the aforementioned Pterinochilus murinus, and I have since seperated my scorps and T's from one another visually.

Although I have never seen this happen since the two times mentioned above, that was enough to truely give a BIG respect as to the safety precatuions needed with the Parabuthus.

**Call me anal, but I noticed "Baboon" was spelled wrong, and I just had to fix it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most excellent guys. I think I am going to test one of my trans and quite possibly even one of my liosoma by use of some interesting method. I'm not exactly sure what yet though.

Well, since I am in the pic posting mood, I'm gonna post a pic of a P. liosoma. Maybe even a trans as well.

until tomorrow... happy trails to you..... =D
edw.

Attachments