Paper towel/toilet paper tubes - bad idea?

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone...

Upon reconfiguring a few of my cages recently I decided to toss in a few cardboard paper tubes (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.) to act as instant hides and suitable web anchors.

While not as aesthetically pleasing to the environment, some of my Ts have found them to be quite useful. In some instances I've used a whole tube suspended up on a corner for my A. Avic who uses it rather infrequently. For my terrestrial specs, I've cut the tubes into 2"-3" segments and stuck them into the substrate, dug out the dirt in the middle, and they've immediately drawn to that as a start of a new burrow.

My question is: Is the material safe? Though it's kind've an afterthought, it has occurred to me that while it's simply a cardboard tube, there are a number of textile/chemical processes used to make that simple tube. Could the cardboard harbor anything (such as chemical residue) that could harm the Ts over extended periods? Or am I just a little paranoid?

Does anyone else use cardboard tubes or something equivalent? If so, how long?

Some insight into this would be awesome.

LCDXX

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have used paper towel/toilet paper rolls for a while....they are safe chemical wise....but you need to make sure that the tube doesnt get to damp and mold...thats really the only problem tht i have seen, though i have never seen any mold, i am sure it could happen

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Me too, they tend to get damp and moldy. I like to dig a kind of diagonal hole (like this: /) put the tube in, and bury all but the opening, then they think they are real burrowers!!

Actually, I do not use them in higher humidity enclosures, that's what pvc was MADE for!:D