Panic mode super big time.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Well, about to go nuts. Sp,black Satan. Mesh top five gal tank. It's pushing six inches. Looked in the tank and it's lost a leg. Was totally fine last night. It's still on the lid and I'm guessing corn starch is only going to get me a bite report.

Please a experienced person respond. IAM so at a loss what if anything to do.

It's broke off at the socket flipping hell I don't even know it's that's correct, right at the caripce. Spell check,this is not the time. I need some advice please still on the lid, let things be and hope for the best or what?

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
It's broke off at the socket flipping hell I don't even know it's that's correct, right at the caripce. Spell check,this is not the time. I need some advice please still on the lid, let things be and hope for the best or what?
You could use cornstarch to stop the "bleeding" if it is actively loosing hemolymph. That said, Tarantulas also have a "valve" at the base of their leg, where it connects to the carapace, which they will close when they loose a limb in nature.
Aside from that, I don't know of much else you can do besides leave it alone and let it recover.

A picture of the enclosure would be good too.

I can tell you mesh or screen is NOT good for Tarantulas. They can use their fangs (if they're large enough) to break the mesh and escape and can get their claws stuck in it. A claw stuck in the mesh may be what happened to your T, resulting in it "dropping" the leg to get free.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Learning that the hard way. Heard stories about mesh and being stubborn, I dismissed them. Here is proof they suck.
My phone is a hunk of junk,I'll do my best to get a picture.
To my knowledge this is unsexed,and right next to a female proven. Only recently placed by her.

This sucks IAM so heart broken.
It's been in this tank for about a month. Always be in the hide, webbed up a lite web, not like molting or anything. A day later after placing them side by side. Out and about climbing glass.
I'm happy for sure if I have both a male I own,and a female I can pair with,but this is sucking to the top most. I love my spiders, this is no joke.

Thank you for responding btw.

IMG_20220804_124726.jpg

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Learning that the hard way. Heard stories about mesh and being stubborn, I dismissed them. Here is proof they suck.
My phone is a hunk of junk,I'll do my best to get a picture.
To my knowledge this is unsexed,and right next to a female proven. Only recently placed by her.

This sucks IAM so heart broken.
It's been in this tank for about a month. Always be in the hide, webbed up a lite web, not like molting or anything. A day later after placing them side by side. Out and about climbing glass.
I'm happy for sure if I have both a male I own,and a female I can pair with,but this is sucking to the top most. I love my spiders, this is no joke.

Thank you for responding btw.
The best advice I can give you is to do your research and DON'T be stubborn! lol

There is a lot of bad information out there, but there is also a lot of great info. This site here is one of the best for the great info. You should definitely listen to the advice of the keepers here, even if you have reservations about it. After all, most of them have been keeping Ts for a long time and know what they're talking about.

As for breeding, I would say to hold off on doing so. I have not bred Ts myself, but I have researched a lot and know it is not easy to accomplish, especially if you want the male to survive for another pairing. And, you'll be overrun by slings if you are successful, which slings are a little harder to keep than their adult counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
She/he is back in it's hide. Sorta normal position. Kinda hard to explain. Corn starch, yes,but ummmm nope,not trying that at this exact time. Last thing I want to do is have to hold it down with my brush to even attempt that. Even tho I want to do what I can to help.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
She/he is back in it's hide. Sorta normal position. Kinda hard to explain. Corn starch, yes,but ummmm nope,not trying that at this exact time. Last thing I want to do is have to hold it down with my brush to even attempt that. Even tho I want to do what I can to help.
I can understand that. It's not the easiest thing to do and if there is NOT any active "bleeding" then it's not necessary.

What is the binomial (scientific name) of the T you have?

You need a lot more substrate in that enclosure. Tarantulas are fragile in terms of falls. Even a few inches can injury the T or cause internal damage that may result in the Ts death. And, of course, the mesh needs to be replaced with acrylic that has holes for ventilation.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
time to make a run to hardware store for a cut to size sheet of accrylic to replace that mesh lid
I cannot explain how right you are. I'm actually a tool and die maker semi retired. Wheels turning, fixing to make this night mare be forgotten for all of us.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I cannot explain how right you are. I'm actually a tool and die maker semi retired. Wheels turning, fixing to make this night mare be forgotten for all of us.
even better then should be an easy fix for you then :Di remember how shocked i was in the effort it took in making dies to cut out card board boxes

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
You need a lot more substrate in that enclosure. Tarantulas are fragile in terms of falls. Even a few inches can injury the T or cause internal damage that may result in the Ts death. And, of course, the mesh needs to be replaced with acrylic that has holes for ventilation.
Lol I appreciate the advice. I screwed up with the mesh. I breed. Fifty feet of substrate is insane when you want to introduce a male. I need solid advise about an injury,not about my substrate or enclosure.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Lol I appreciate the advice. I screwed up with the mesh. I breed. Fifty feet of substrate is insane when you want to introduce a male. I need solid advise about an injury,not about my substrate or enclosure.
Obviously you do need advice about the enclosure. The mesh, which is an issue, is an enclosure issue and just one of a couple I see. As for your injured T, you've done all you can to help it. Now, you just need to worry about how to prevent future incidents.

Again, if you are this new to keeping Tarantulas that you don't even know how to or practice good husbandry for the Ts you have, then you should NOT attempt breeding them yet.

But, if you want to learn it all the hard way, then I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I can understand that. It's not the easiest thing to do and if there is NOT any active "bleeding" then it's not necessary.

What is the binomial (scientific name) of the T you have?

Ummm what? The only chili brach sp black I'm aware of? This is exactly why I'm hesitant to ask a dam thing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Id you had enough substrate that might not have happened where it was dangling and couldn’t touch the substrate as an addition to top problem. No one’s attacking you but you have an unsafe distance from substrate to lid. Add enough so that you have 1.5x DlS between them. It’s simple or next time it’s injuries could be worse

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Hey I'm not saying anyone is on me or that you are wrong and I wasn't right. Hell yes my emcl

Gerrr this freaking phone.

Yes person of substrate. How the heck can you take a fall from getting hung up on mesh,and deciding that six inches of substrate is what made it want to crawl and move. Like oh yeah, mesh up here gonna mess around. I asked about an injury not about my freaking substrate depth.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay friend good luck, everyone here is not responding for your benefit but for the animals safety is all. Us recommending you Adding more substrate shouldn’t be taken personally but taken openly if you’re as passionate about keeping them as we are. It could and can moving forward climb again and sustain fall damage potentially rupturing its abdomen or loosing more legs until the substrate level is corrected. Risk vs. reward is what we’re trying to communicate to you.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I appreciate that. I'm not trying to get into a debate about my freaking substrate,lol. I do understand your adv

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
It doesn't always happen and doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. Sad that the tarantula had to suffer

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Gerrr this freaking phone.

Yes person of substrate. How the heck can you take a fall from getting hung up on mesh,and deciding that six inches of substrate is what made it want to crawl and move. Like oh yeah, mesh up here gonna mess around. I asked about an injury not about my freaking substrate depth.

You'll just learn about the substrate issue the same way you have learned about the mesh; when your T is severely injured or dying. We're just trying to help you take the best care of your animals and trying to give you good advice that will help to prevent ANY future injuries. Good luck!

I gave you the only advice there is to help the T currently injured. Cornstarch if necessary then let it be so it can recover.

Not much else to tell you there, but definitely things can be done to prevent future injuries.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
my suggestions are both for the tarantulas safety. Get acrylic/plexi and cut it to-replace the whole top and drill or burn ventilation holes in it. And second add enough substrate so there’s no more than 1.5x DLS from substrate to lid to reduce fall risk. I’d say this to anyone not just you. Standard care.

here’s an example of a acrylic made lid for a 5 gal I did for a scorp. 080301B9-329A-4D3E-9877-A6E5087AB26F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Lol I honestly thank you for your advice I really do. IAM asking about my t's injury and what to do if anything about it. 420 summed it up. I'm sorry to you and 420 and staff in general. My bad. I love my animals and was looking for advice. It's just stupid to start into someone with crap like that and you don't even have a clue who they are.

You think substrate defines a breeder or keeper?. LMAO good luck then as was said to me. I was warned about this. Should have took the same advise then huh 420 whatever the crap your Nick is. Mesh lids I messed up bad. Freaking pin this as reminder.