Panic mode super big time.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
You think substrate defines a breeder or keeper?. LMAO good luck then as was said to me. I was warned about this. Should have took the same advise then huh 420 whatever the crap your Nick is. Mesh lids I messed up bad. Freaking pin this as reminder.
No, the substrate doesn't define a keeper or breeder. How they choose to care for their animals and their animals safety does. The distance between the substrate and top is unsafe as you have it. It's not about the substrate, really, but about the safety of the animal. And wanting to breed is not an excuse to throw safety to the wind; in fact, it's quite the opposite.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
So you know exactly nothing about me at all. I ask a question about a injury. You have no clue at all about my experience level. A straight on top shot of a five gal enclosure,with no shot at all to show you the depth of soil there actually is.

And that's what you rolled with?. And again this is exactly why I was told to stay the hell away from this. Asking solid advise about an injury and get some crap like this. Can't say I was told wrong then. Such a shame.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Lol I honestly thank you for your advice I really do. IAM asking about my t's injury and what to do if anything about it. 420 summed it up. I'm sorry to you and 420 and staff in general. My bad. I love my animals and was looking for advice. It's just stupid to start into someone with crap like that and you don't even have a clue who they are.

You think substrate defines a breeder or keeper?. LMAO good luck then as was said to me. I was warned about this. Should have took the same advise then huh 420 whatever the crap your Nick is. Mesh lids I messed up bad. Freaking pin this as reminder.
There’s nothing that can be done about the injury now except avoid future injuries. Nothing more nothing less! Look at the message of the posts no one is making anything personal against you as a keeper or breeder at all.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
So you know exactly nothing about me at all. I ask a question about a injury. You have no clue at all about my experience level. A straight on top shot of a five gal enclosure,with no shot at all to show you the depth of soil there actually is.

And that's what you rolled with?. And again this is exactly why I was told to stay the hell away from this. Asking solid advise about an injury and get some crap like this. Can't say I was told wrong then. Such a shame.
From the pic, you can CLEARLY see way too much space between the substrate and top! It has nothing to do with depth, it has everything to do with the amount of distance the T will fall from the top of the enclosure to the substrate below. Period. So why are you talking about the depth of the substrate and how we can't see that? That's not what we're talking about.

And, in the same way we don't know your experience level, you don't know ours. But, the things you do wrong indicate someone that either doesn't know better and needs to be educated or someone that doesn't care at all and we're all just wasting time trying to help.

If you want to prevent future injury, change the mesh to acrylic with ventilation and add substrate so there isn't so much room for a fall. If not, then you obviously don't care about your animal, which seems most likely.

From the entire conversation we've had, it seems you're only interested in helping your T to survive so you can breed it. Anyone really reading this thread can see what's going on here.

Btw, the people who "warned" you about this site are probably the same narcissistic people that think they know everything and can't handle criticism or correction to their poor husbandry techniques. Thanks for the reminder that such crap people exist out there (and here, apparently).

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm sorry,. I just asked for solid advise about an actual injury.

LMAO I'm still confused on how you are coming up with depth of substrate vers height from the bottom of the enclosure?
None of that had anything to do with this. Did you not read where I said this is a possible male? Do you actually know what it's like to have male spiders in full bloom?
I asked again for the 100 time about what to do about my situation.
All that being said, I honestly thank you for your time,we are on two totally different paths with this. All I asked for was advice on a injury. You are more than welcome to stop by our facility and tell me how things are done.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
LMAO I'm still confused on how you are coming up with depth of substrate vers height from the bottom of the enclosure?
None of that had anything to do with this. Did you not read where I said this is a possible male? Do you actually know what it's like to have male spiders in full bloom?
All that being said, I honestly thank you for your time,we are on two totally different paths with this. All I asked for was advice on a injury. You are more than welcome to stop by our facility and tell me how things are done.
You said you were a "semi-retired" tool guy. Now you claim you are at some type of arachnid breeding facility, with other people? And you're asking about what to do for an injury like this? Especially if you are used to dealing with mature male tarantulas, you know limbs missing happen. So why were you so panicked? I highly doubt the missing limb is because it's MM. It's the neglectful keeping. I'm unwatching this thread. ✌

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
What advice were you expecting? Your first post said some incoherent things about a leg stuck in the lid, cornstarch, getting bitten - and advice from experienced people.

I think it's been pretty clearly stated that there's not much that needs to be done about the lost leg - tarantulas have muscles in the trochanter that will seal the opening in the instance of a lost limb. This is something that an experienced keeper or breeder should know. I think the rest of the message that was being conveyed is that you're lucky the injury was minor - when a terrestrial or fossorial specimen falls a significant distance it often results in a ruptured abdomen, which is usually fatal. And you're right - mature males climb and roam much more than females and immature specimens. With that in mind, you were being offered advice on how to prevent future injuries of a similar nature (like replacing the mesh lid and increasing the amount of substrate so the distance to fall isn't so much). Not once was a personal attack made against you or your husbandry, but you became defensive and belligerent anyway.

Accept the advice or don't - that's up to you. This community prioritizes the safety and well-being of the animals, and will continue to do so.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
My apologies to all and and any that responded. I failed to make things more clear. I also failed in trusting a tight mesh lid. I public admit I am a idiot in that regard.
Look these are my love,my only true passion. I have not ever been through this before, I freaked out. And nope no person has gave me bad advise. I freaked out my fault, I take full responsibility for everything.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
My apologies to all and and any that responded. I failed to make things more clear. I also failed in trusting a tight mesh lid. I public admit I am a idiot in that regard.
Look these are my love,my only true passion. I have not ever been through this before, I freaked out. And nope no person has gave me bad advise. I freaked out my fault, I take full responsibility for everything.
Everyone is entitled to a freak out now and then, just don't freak out on the people trying to help! Hopefully your T is going full speed ahead again soon - keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.

joossa

Arachnobaron
If we see something wrong with a T's setup, we're going to point it out regardless if you asking about it or not. Our priority is to encourage the best husbandry and push that along to all sorts of people of different backgrounds and experiences for the sake of the animals. Our priority is the well being of the animals. Period.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Should be no need to do anything unless it's visibly leaking haemolymph, I'd suggest reading up on how autotomy works.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Well, about to go nuts. Sp,black Satan. Mesh top five gal tank. It's pushing six inches. Looked in the tank and it's lost a leg. Was totally fine last night. It's still on the lid and I'm guessing corn starch is only going to get me a bite report.

Please a experienced person respond. IAM so at a loss what if anything to do.

It's broke off at the socket flipping hell I don't even know it's that's correct, right at the caripce. Spell check,this is not the time. I need some advice please still on the lid, let things be and hope for the best or what?
Okay,I think I'm going about this the right way. IAM so sorry to whatever mods was dealing with my posts.
My spider is fine, other than the obvious. I went and retrieved the leg and as soon as I took the lid off,I seen the end

I feel I have a responsibility to update this. Bad husbandry on my part. I'll attach photos if need be. The minimum depth of substrate is 3 inches. It's deeper in other areas. I purposely put the hide on the bottom. I've been in thought and learning with this species,this is a nice size spider an easy six inches.it can stand on the substrate and almost touch the lid. Past experience and being a idiot I've seen them be able to push the lid open because I've had them improperly homed. The depth of substrate was an actual issue because my larger spiders could certainly do this.
Call me whatever,at least I can provide not what to do.

I'm a freak to my friends but one.my kids want nothing to do with this. For me to get on a public forum,with my actual name and admit I messed up with animals I love is brutal.
I'm not even going into detail about anything other than I had zero choice than add corn starch this afternoon.
Point is me rolling with these stupid lids knowing now especially. Full blown moron.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Okay,I think I'm going about this the right way. IAM so sorry to whatever mods was dealing with my posts.
My spider is fine, other than the obvious. I went and retrieved the leg and as soon as I took the lid off,I seen the end

I feel I have a responsibility to update this. Bad husbandry on my part. I'll attach photos if need be. The minimum depth of substrate is 3 inches. It's deeper in other areas. I purposely put the hide on the bottom. I've been in thought and learning with this species,this is a nice size spider an easy six inches.it can stand on the substrate and almost touch the lid. Past experience and being a idiot I've seen them be able to push the lid open because I've had them improperly homed. The depth of substrate was an actual issue because my larger spiders could certainly do this.
Call me whatever,at least I can provide not what to do.

I'm a freak to my friends but one.my kids want nothing to do with this. For me to get on a public forum,with my actual name and admit I messed up with animals I love is brutal.
I'm not even going into detail about anything other than I had zero choice than add corn starch this afternoon.
Point is me rolling with these stupid lids knowing now especially. Full blown moron.
First, let me say, you're not a freak and you're not a moron. You fit right in here with all the other arachnid lovers!

I apologize to you as well for any harsh or critical things said. This is a place full of people who feel the same way you do about these awesome animals and you should feel encouraged to use it to "socialize" with others, find and share info and so on. By the way, a lot of us are still learning things so don't feel bad about not knowing something.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
First, let me say, you're not a freak and you're not a moron. You fit right in here with all the other arachnid lovers!

I apologize to you as well for any harsh or critical things said. This is a place full of people who feel the same way you do about these awesome animals and you should feel encouraged to use it to "socialize" with others, find and share info and so on. By the way, a lot of us are still learning things so don't feel bad about not knowing something.
I honestly appreciate that,but you owe me no apologie
It's the other way around and I apologise to you
Nothing you told me was harsh or bad advise.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Trust me bro, i feel your pain on this. Had this username for 20 years. Ugh, past mistakes. No one should be labeled a freak for having a hobby. A lot of people dont even have hobbies. What a boring bunch they are.

Furthermore, we all make mistakes. When other people have already made the mistakes, they can share them and we can all learn from their mistakes.

Your rebound from from "meltdown mode" is looking very optimistic and i hope you stick around and advance your husbandry skills.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Trust me bro, i feel your pain on this. Had this username for 20 years. Ugh, past mistakes. No one should be labeled a freak for having a hobby. A lot of people dont even have hobbies. What a boring bunch they are.

Furthermore, we all make mistakes. When other people have already made the mistakes, they can share them and we can all learn from their mistakes.

Your rebound from from "meltdown mode" is looking very optimistic and i hope you stick around and advance your husbandry skills.
Thank you for that and I will. And yes I know you have. I've lurked and read and learned from tons of posts and threads you have been on here and others before I even got the guts up to make an account.

cold blood

Staff member
Lol I honestly thank you for your advice I really do. IAM asking about my t's injury and what to do if anything about it.
See, you are getting help on the enclosure because your question about the injury was literally answered in the first post. Tarantulas have a valve at the base of the leg that closes off in case of injury, so your t will be just fine, there is no problem with a missing leg and literally nothing that can or should be done aside from preventing it from happening again, hence the enclosure advice and not further injury advice, which would just be redundant..
I'm still confused on how you are coming up with depth of substrate vers height from the bottom of the enclosure?
The depth of the sub will be entirely dictated by the depth of the enclosure. 6 inches is fine on one enclosure, in another its woefully inadequate. Its not just that they need the burrowing space, but also that the sub needs to be deep enough relative to the height of the enclosure to prevent falling injuries.

The fact that it is or could be male is 100% completely irrelevant. Mature males wander and are even more prone to falls, especially as they age, so the addition of sub is just as important, male or female. Trust me, males are common, we have all had males mature many times and know what its like to have them...although mine never bloomed...lol.