pandinus imperator or heterometrus spp.?

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had my 2 scorpions for almost 2 weeks now and i need to know how to tell the difference between these to kinds of scorpions.

i have noticed that big or all emperors have their pincers close to them and the pincers themselves are more "bumpy" than the smooth pincers of the forest scorpion which i think have their pincers held outwards. correct me if i'm wrong please.:wall:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its mainly the granulation (bumpyness) not the position, as you said, emps are more granulated.
But this is only true for adults as young pandinus have smooth chela

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ahh good i'm abit more at ease now coz mine have smooth pincers. still could go either way.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if the claws look like this they are Emperors.

I would say if the claws are smooth and dont have that shield like appearence they are not Pandinus imperator.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mine are alot smaller than those and the pincers are fairly chunky but all smooth.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes its a Pandinus (I'm pretty damn sure atleast)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ahh its this one again :) well again.. without a clearer pic it is hard to say.. it could very well be a young Pandinus.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you get it, and what did they tell you they were?

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The telson on a 3I heterometrus usually is already dark while the Pandinus imperator is much lighter. The claws are fairly simular until they hit somewhere between 5I and 6I.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well they look like juveniles.... they're chela are suppose to be smaller.... No worries.

BTW The website says "sub-adult", so without a doubt they're "babies". I Belive someone in the old thread said they were juvenile also.