Pandinus Imperator likes the cold??? Very wierd behavior.

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
My emperor seems to like the cold, but I know this isnt right.

My tank has a gradient from 75 to 85, and he never seems to go into the warm end of the tank, whick i never thought much about....until now.

Lately because of winter we keep our window half open at night when we sleep because of the dry heat in our house.
Well i noticed that the cooler end of the tank in the middle of the night gets downright cold, and the warmer end cools down but maintains heat plenty enough.
Now the wierd thing is that he just will not go to the warm end of the tank to stay warm, he stays in his other burrow on the cold end freezing probally.

Why does he choose this? does he not like heat? Im so confused. Its like he doesnt like heat.

Does anyone else notice this?
Need advice please.
Thanks guys.

P.S. He has dug his burrow out so completely that it is just glass now, and the glass gets very cold. Maybe the glass gets so cold he CANT move to warmer area?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try to imagine he doesn't (you have said it yourself, it's like he doesn't like it), then reread and rethink your post......there you have your answer.

There are a couple of things

1) Where are temp gauges in the cage, one at the cold end, one at the warm end? High above the substrate, close to the substrate? What are you reading?
2) Besides it's strange choice of temps, is their other "weird or abberant behaviour?
3) Are their any hides in the enclosure?

As many people, I also had emps. They show a bit of weird behaviour: weird stances under the lamp or in other places in an enclosure, rampaging the complete enclosure, digging, overturning cork bark, fasting for certain periods etc etc
Don't worry, your scorpion can thermoregulate itself and this is probably another weird behavioral component. Keep the temp gradient like you are doing now.

Cheers, Michiel

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
I have one thermometer at the warm end, and one humidity gauge at the cooler side.
I have them almost touching the substrate.

My thermometer says about 86 degrees all day, and the hunidity gauge stays between 75-82%.

I have great hides (burrows) at both ends of tank, he just doesnt like the heat. He stays way down in his burrow at the cooler end.

Has never really shown any wierd behavior imo.

Hes very shy, very aggressive.

Is it too hot in his tank? am i hurting him?

Also hes become obese lately, might be his first molt. Does that have any effect on his temp choices?

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You are not keeping it too hot I think. They like it up to 86 F/ 30 Celsius in the day with high humidity. But around 82 F will also suffice.
That specimen is a juvenile and needs at least one more molt, maybe two. It looks like it is nice and healthy.