Pandinus imperator ID Confirmation

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
I just received a pandinus imperator a few hours ago. However, upon posting images online, some have questioned the authenticity of it being an imperator. I have to stress that any comments in regards to its true species must have absolute certainty. As I have had far too many people commenting plain guesses without providing any clarifications or identification keys (not that I would understand them). The most common guess is heterometrus longimanus or that is in fact a imperator. The individual is a captive bred juvenile that arrived this morning.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I just received a pandinus imperator a few hours ago. However, upon posting images online, some have questioned the authenticity of it being an imperator. I have to stress that any comments in regards to its true species must have absolute certainty. As I have had far too many people commenting plain guesses without providing any clarifications or identification keys (not that I would understand them). The most common guess is heterometrus longimanus or that is in fact a imperator. The individual is a captive bred juvenile that arrived this morning.
From looking at pics of Imps on the net their claws look a lot different then Heterometrus sp. You should be able to tell if you get a pic up on your phone and then physically look at your scorp. Imps have very uniform bumps covering their claws and are like shovels.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
From looking at pics of Imps on the net their claws look a lot different then Heterometrus sp. You should be able to tell if you get a pic up on your phone and then physically look at your scorp. Imps have very uniform bumps covering their claws and are like shovels.
Yeah, I think the claws are what puzzle a lot of people. As a taxonomist commented; he also confirmed it to be a juvenile imperator. That their claws get rounder as they mature and since mine is a juvenile and may not be as developed as adults. I can also spot the little triangle near the eyes, which is identical to other imperators I've seen online; I own a dictator too so needed a method on how to separate them from imperator. The website I bought it from is very reputable too: BugzUK. I sent Martin an email and he definitively said it's an imperator. Either way, at least she's settled. I suppose I should just learn to ignore comments that define a species just by saying "It doesn't look like mine".

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I think the claws are what puzzle a lot of people. As a taxonomist commented; he also confirmed it to be a juvenile imperator. That their claws get rounder as they mature and since mine is a juvenile and may not be as developed as adults. I can also spot the little triangle near the eyes, which is identical to other imperators I've seen online; I own a dictator too so needed a method on how to separate them from imperator. The website I bought it from is very reputable too: BugzUK. I sent Martin an email and he definitively said it's an imperator. Either way, at least she's settled. I suppose I should just learn to ignore comments that define a species just by saying "It doesn't look like mine".
Martin is an absolutely sound bloke to deal with so I'd be 100% confident you have a Imp. If you had access to a good macro setup you'd get the detail that would stop all the "that's not an Imp" comments.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Martin is an absolutely sound bloke to deal with so I'd be 100% confident you have a Imp. If you had access to a good macro setup you'd get the detail that would stop all the "that's not an Imp" comments.
Yeah. My current setup is: Nikon D7200, Sigma 105mm F2.8, SB-700 speedlight and a Vanguard Alta tripod. My main issue is using it properly, as I usually use auto mode and don't bother with any editing software. I don't think I even upload them correctly, as I use the app to download them to my phone (Doesn't that change it automatically to a JPEG?) rather than use my PC.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah. My current setup is: Nikon D7200, Sigma 105mm F2.8, SB-700 speedlight and a Vanguard Alta tripod. My main issue is using it properly, as I usually use auto mode and don't bother with any editing software. I don't think I even upload them correctly, as I use the app to download them to my phone (Doesn't that change it automatically to a JPEG?) rather than use my PC.
Oh don't use auto mode. Just have a play. That's all I do. I just mess about depending on what I'm after. The great thing is you just delete the bad ones. I usually have my shutter on a 5 second timer so I'm not touching the camera when it fires. Obviously if you've got a mover then you can't do that.

My pics come to my phone as jpegs I then upload them via the Tapatalk app. This is my Opistophthalmus glabrifrons. Cropped in to show the claw although I wasn't focusing on it. Turn off auto settings and enjoy your setup. You'll get some amazing pics.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Oh don't use auto mode. Just have a play. That's all I do. I just mess about depending on what I'm after. The great thing is you just delete the bad ones. I usually have my shutter on a 5 second timer so I'm not touching the camera when it fires. Obviously if you've got a mover then you can't do that.

My pics come to my phone as jpegs I then upload them via the Tapatalk app. This is my Opistophthalmus glabrifrons. Cropped in to show the claw although I wasn't focusing on it. Turn off auto settings and enjoy your setup. You'll get some amazing pics.

That's just ridiculous quality . I bought one of those Nikon remotes too, as I researched that mirror up mode is ideal for macro and I didn't want to shake the camera. I should just have a play around on manual mode, I'm pretty confident with just changing the iso. Your camera is the Sony A7, right? Suffice to say my pictures won't touch that even if I master the adjustments haha.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's just ridiculous quality . I bought one of those Nikon remotes too, as I researched that mirror up mode is ideal for macro and I didn't want to shake the camera. I should just have a play around on manual mode, I'm pretty confident with just changing the iso. Your camera is the Sony A7, right? Suffice to say my pictures won't touch that even if I master the adjustments haha.
That pic isn't as it's a crop from this

I got some good results with my Nikon D5500. Only had the on board flash too.

You just have to have a play. Also editing helps a lot. When I was using my Nikon D5500 I used a free editing app called Snapseed. It's great.