Pandinus Imperator (female?)

Set

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the hobby. I recently purchased a Pandinus Imperator and I believe it's a female, but I wanted a second opinion. I'm also curious to about what instar you think this is. It is approximately four inches long (from pincer to base of tail).

She also seems to be on the opposite schedule as normal Emperors. She stays in her hide all night long and comes out around 11am almost every day. Sometimes she stays out for 4-5 hours at a time. My guess is that the pet store had them on this schedule somehow... maybe (?). Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I be worried? I'm currently only feeding at night to try and reverse this habit.

(click image to view larger)

Thanks!

Seth

Last edited:

zad

Arachnopeon
Female i guess, full grow adult it seems to me, but im not sure.

Maybe she just get using it to the new enviroment...

Set

Arachnopeon
It's a girl!

I was told that the best method was to view the length of the pectines. I recently read about a more accurate way. If the genital operculum is heart shaped then it's female, and if it's oval it's male. (I'm not sure what all species this applies to.)

But, Im pretty sure this isn't fully grown.

Last edited:

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Looks mature to me, but the color balance in the picture might be off. How does the telson appear under normal lighting? Dark reddish is mature, cream-colored is subadult. Easy species to tell because of that.

Set

Arachnopeon
It's reddish brown. I guess it's mature then. I just thought these got a lot bigger for some reason.