Pandinus Imperator communal?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I really want to setup a communal tank with 3-4 Emperor scorpions, and need some tips. I'm most concerned about fighting and cannibalism. I've read that as long as each has their own burrow or hiding place the fighting is less likely to happen. Will a 30gal tank provide sufficient space for 3-4 specimens? Thoughts?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
30 gallons Should be plenty for 3 - 4, a general rule of thumb is 5 gallons per emperor. (but I keep a couple of mine in 2.5 gallons, 1 scorp per 2.5g)

I always go 1 hide more than emperor (but usually they all pile up in 1 hide though).

Communal and cannibalism concerns are less with emperors, they are able to be kept communal and they don't usually eat each other. (but they can and sometimes do, so it is said "they are communal until they are not") Any that display aggression should be put alone.

I always make sure to have a relatively deep water dish, Pandinus imperators like to submerge. And plenty of depth to my substrate for burrowing (3 - 6 inches) And I also use the false bottom setup to maintain high humidity.

Gl Thaedion

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always make sure to have a relatively deep water dish, Pandinus imperators like to submerge. And plenty of depth to my substrate for burrowing (3 - 6 inches) And I also use the false bottom setup to maintain high humidity.

Gl Thaedion
I saw your video of your scorp bathing today and i couldnt believe it. I am going to get a deeper water dish soon. The false bottom is a layer of gravel or rock below layers of cocoa fibre right? Anways great advice, thanks!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw your video of your scorp bathing today and i couldnt believe it. I am going to get a deeper water dish soon. The false bottom is a layer of gravel or rock below layers of cocoa fibre right? Anways great advice, thanks!
Thanks.
Your correct, the false bottom allows you to keep water under the substrate so it leaches up through it and keeps it humid.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This should probly be in another thread, but is anyone selling or know of someone selling Emperors at reasonable prices?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i have a male now who is about 4"-4.5", so i guess around that size would be good. How much?