Pandinus Imperator and Kids

guitarm07

Arachnopeon
In May of 2007, I had two scorpions, Isis and Elmo; one female and one male.

Around late June or early July of 2007, Isis ate Elmo. I never really wondered why.

Around December of 2007, Isis got fat and turned out to be gravid.

May 5th, 2008, Isis gave birth to 16 scorplings.

She ate a few and I lost a few somehow, and I have 13 healthy scorplings. I probably lost a few when I was separating them from their mother.

July 18 they are starting to molt into their 3rd instar. 3rd instar on the left and 2nd instar on the right.

As of right now, there are two left that are about to molt into their 3rd instar.

The odd thing is that somehow the conditions have been perfect for them and they are molting well. I haven't even been trying that hard to but it stays 85 degrees F and a 90% humidity in their enclosure.

I have a question though: At what instar can I start to ship these little guys. I plan to sell them to local pet shops in my area and I will probably end up posting in the Classifieds in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

--Dave

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the time you could ship them at 2nd instar. Usually after they molt to 2nd instar you feed them 2 or 3 times to make sure that they are healthy and accepting food. If they are, then they are good to go. I just received a bunch of 2i H. Judaicus not to long ago.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
diddo what dan said. But SOME more precautious sellers wait to 3I. But most people ship at 2I or bigger.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the scorps I've received were 2I when I got them. Just make sure they're well padded and don't have too much empty space when you pack them and you'll have no problems.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've shipped scorps out within 8-10 days of being born and they were in tip top shape and last I heard were full grown and having babies of their own.

Petshops around here won't buy scorps that are smaller than 2" because "they don't live long when you put them in an aquarium". AKA with a screen top on sand and no hides.

guitarm07

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the info guys. I have been feeding the scorpions a lot and they are taking food.

I do notice that the pet shops don't really know how to set-up an enclosure for a tropical species. Maybe I can educate them on that.

Nevertheless, thank you all for the info.

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you might be better off posting them on the classifieds, that way someone who knows what they are doing with scorpions will have them.

I was in a pet shop the other day and the guy that worked there told me that emps "can pretty much live on any substrate" and that "white sand would be an awesome contrast" then I noticed the emp they had was on red sand with a huge white dome light over the top of it.

I really do not understand how these people have jobs.