Pandinus Identification and Babies

PhilD

Arachnopeon
I'm a scorpion grandpa! I hadn't seen the gravid female in months, and was starting to wonder if it was dead, when I looked behind the heat mat and realized I could see into her burrow. She was not only alive, but had given birth, and the scorplings were already off her back. TBH, they could even be 3i for all I know. Or would they be darker? There were only 6, so I wonder if some cannibalism took place. I should have asked before, but could someone ID the mother? I got her at an expo, sold as P. dictator, but some on FB have suggested P. viatoris. When I asked the seller about this, he said there were some imperator mixed in, but not viatoris. He said they were imported WC, but wouldn't get more specific than that. She is pretty defensive even now that she's been separated from her offspring, and she spent most of her time underground, though being gravid may have been a factor.

As for care of the scorplings, is it better to keep them together or separately? If separately, is a 16 oz deli cup with low ventilation, a bottle cap water dish, and as much moist substrate as possible a good way to keep them? If together, how big an enclosure? All are currently separated in 2 oz cups on moist sub until I get more input. Each ate a small maimed mealworm soon after it was offered.

Thanks for the help!
IMG_8380.JPG IMG_8385.JPG IMG_8387.JPG IMG_8397.JPG IMG_20220927_123608206.jpg IMG_8396.JPG IMG_8389.JPG

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
You could have kept them with mom a while longer, or kept the babies together for a good while, but now that they’re separated I’d just keep them separate. They’d need to be separated eventually anyway.
Your deli cup plan is a good starter for individual babies.