Pandinus dictator available

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Gonna be my first scorp that not from North America (I only have Hadrurus and Vaejovis/Hoffmannius species currently) and after working with such high strung scorpions all the time this species is likely gonna be a breeze to re house and do maintainence in the enclosure. I'm planning on making a nice naturalistic enclosure complete with plants placed where they won't be easily uprooted so it should look great.

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
Gonna be my first scorp that not from North America (I only have Hadrurus and Vaejovis/Hoffmannius species currently) and after working with such high strung scorpions all the time this species is likely gonna be a breeze to re house and do maintainence in the enclosure. I'm planning on making a nice naturalistic enclosure complete with plants placed where they won't be easily uprooted so it should look great.
that's awesome. I almost got some H. Pallidus once because they supposedly have a fairly mild temperament. but the thing that attracts me to the Pandinus Genus is that they can be kept communally within their respective species that is.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
that's awesome. I almost got some H. Pallidus once because they supposedly have a fairly mild temperament. but the thing that attracts me to the Pandinus Genus is that they can be kept communally within their respective species that is.
I must say that none of the Arizonensis subspecies have a mild temperament in my experience and they are actually all quite aggressive besides maybe one normal H. arizonensis individual I have that is a little milder and even that scorp I wouldn't hold as it's definitely not fond of being prodded or 're housed just doesn't seem as quick to jab at whatever is bothering it.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hard to recognize by instar 2..
Then how does he know they're true dictator? :) I dont see how your comment has any bearing on mine given it requires the same information from the seller.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Then how does he know they're true dictator? :) I dont see how your comment has any bearing on mine given it requires the same information from the seller.
They were supposedly collected in Cameroon as that's where the range of dictator and imperator don't overlap

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
that's awesome. I almost got some H. Pallidus once because they supposedly have a fairly mild temperament.
Whoever told you this is dead wrong.

I must say that none of the Arizonensis subspecies have a mild temperament in my experience and they are actually all quite aggressive besides maybe one normal H. arizonensis individual I have that is a little milder and even that scorp I wouldn't hold as it's definitely not fond of being prodded or 're housed just doesn't seem as quick to jab at whatever is bothering it.
they are not aggressive they are defensive.

N8Legged

Arachnosquire

I was at a reptile show a year or so ago they were handling these guys and passing them to people and they didn't seem any extra disturbed, they even had one of my friends hold one. they were marketing them with a common name of california king hairy as one of the larger and calmer species of the U.S.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I've handled them in the past too without incident though I still advise against it.

By the way that is a beautiful specimen in that picture. Looks huge though it could just be the angle of the image.

Last edited:

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
I've handled them in the past too without incident though I still advise against it.

By that way that is a beautiful specimen in that picture. Looks huge though it could just be the angle of the image.
I remember it being comparable in size to an adult emperor and these specimens were quite attractive though they were more than likely different ones the photos were taken a year apart from eachother.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon

I used the term aggressive as I'd consider mine aggressive when it comes to food and disturbance near the burrow my male is quite prone to walking out and attacking the tongs and he goes after any prey items I offer him quite readily even large prey but in the context of handling I can agree defensive is more appropriate.

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
I used the term aggressive as I'd consider mine aggressive when it comes to food and disturbance near the burrow my male is quite prone to walking out and attacking the tongs and he goes after any prey items I offer him quite readily even large prey but in the context of handling I can agree defensive is more appropriate.
This makes sense, i've learned somewhat how to just scoop up my emperor with out annoying it too much anymore. but originally i used to use a large paint brush to back it onto my open hand and it would get defensive and i can see how this would be with other species.

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
Did you pick up your dictator btw?
yes i got them and put them in their new home today been busy with school stuff. but i'll post or send you pictures later, they're smaller than i was expecting, but Ken's didn't specify a size and smaller means they're younger. hopefully they're male and female. but they're about 2-3 inches total length with tail, they're plating looks tougher or more coarse than emperors and their claws are more slender and longer than an emperors proportionally.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds more like an opportunistic desert dwelling creature that jumps on any chance to try and feed ;)

I think my Hadrurus sp. are my favorite specimens of all of my scorpions. :)

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
supposedly
I bought some of them i got them yesterday i'll upload pictures when i get a chance and i'll try and get some high quality close ups of the claws so you may compare them to the genus and sub species description if you so desire.