Pandinus dictator available

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
So Ken the bug guy has Pandinus dictator available but for the price they are I don't want to pay and get an imperator instead. Can I count on these actually being dictator? I do have multiple papers that describe the differences between imperator, dictator, and gambiensis so I know I can ID the scorp once it gets to me but I would hate to buy one then to be dissapointed because of a misidentification.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The only way to know that would be to talk to them directly. They're a reputable site so I would find it very surprising if they intentionally sold you one thing while you were asking for another.
Given the cost of both it's a pretty even line in the sand on that one, excepting imperator's import ban of course ..

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The only way to know that would be to talk to them directly. They're a reputable site so I would find it very surprising if they intentionally sold you one thing while you were asking for another.
Given the cost of both it's a pretty even line in the sand on that one, excepting imperator's import ban of course ..
I believe both have an import ban currently, but imperator is far more common CB.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I don't think they'd sell you imperator in place of dictator since imperator probably sells for a higher price still. Errors do occur in identifying species even by professionals. I bought several B gigas babies from Ken and when they arrived they were actually B jacksoni After some debate back and forth - Ken finally saw that they did infact send me jacksoni's ( of which I just had 2 broods of my own + didn't need more of them ) so Ken traded me a nice amount of adult B gigas in return for the jacksoni he sent and some of my stock also. Errors do happen even with Ken but I don't think he'd intentionally sell you a wrongly ID'd species on purpose

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’d bet dictator is not much different than imperator in size, looks and behavior, but the scientific name does have a ring to it doesn’t it, ….“DICTATOR”!. Just the name makes people say, “Hey man, I want one of those!” Until it’s proven otherwise through breeding attempts and having viable or non-viable offspring, I consider the possibility that imperator, dictator and gambiensis might be the same species/subspecies after all. I’m aware of the trichobothria count difference but who knows for sure at this point that they are truly separate species. I’ve read doubts by credible sources stating that possibility. I don’t know, I just wonder sometimes. btw KTG might have dictator but the pic on their site looks like a pic grabbed off the internet labeled gambiensis, and the same pic is also labeled imperator on another site. I don't blame them, they will all look pretty much the same, just sayin. KTG may very well have dictator since imperator is very hard to get, I also read there has been a move to sneak big black scorpions out of Africa from anywhere and one place has been from Cameroon, the area dictator is from. Bottom line, at that price, I think I might go for it if my circumstances were different over here, and I would shoot for a pair of them.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think it matters how reputable the vendor is, if you have any worries, they should provide you with the key they used and show you photos to prove it. (Or at least have them available in some fashion). It's on them to prove what they have is true dictator, and they know how rare/difficult to identify they are, so if they can ID them as dictator and sell them, they should be able to prove it without a doubt. Otherwise it should be sold as something like "Pandinus sp. ?"

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I mean, honestly I don't trust/like Ken, but he's a highly praised seller, with some top keepers commonly buying from him. As gromgrom said, ask him personally, and get some pictures.

LiHaoRan

Arachnopeon
I dont think it matters how reputable the vendor is, if you have any worries, they should provide you with the key they used and show you photos to prove it. (Or at least have them available in some fashion). It's on them to prove what they have is true dictator, and they know how rare/difficult to identify they are, so if they can ID them as dictator and sell them, they should be able to prove it without a doubt. Otherwise it should be sold as something like "Pandinus sp. ?"
Hard to recognize by instar 2..

Pipa

Arachnoknight
So the rumor is, 500 animals came into the USA via smuggled.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Ok so these were apparently collected in Dictator's native range in Cameroon which luckily doesn't overlap with the other species there so I'm thinking I can safely bet these are Dictator

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
I used to live in Tucson where they are located and bought 3 of my T's from them. I Highly respect their knowledge and trust their business, it inspired me to bid on the Auction they had for two Dictators, I won and should be picking them up from fedex tomorrow. I already own one Imperator so when I get the chance I'll upload some comparison photos!

Last edited: