Pandinus cf. militaris

DavidE721

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

Yesterday I received five Pandinus cf. militaris (2 males and 3 females) from TarnantulaInc, and they are great-looking scorps!

Concerning a communal setup with a view to breeding this species, will those of you let me know how you've gone about this and with what success.

Thanks much.

Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello,

Yesterday I received five Pandinus cf. militaris (2 males and 3 females) from TarnantulaInc, and they are great-looking scorps!

Concerning a communal setup with a view to breeding this species, will those of you let me know how you've gone about this and with what success.

Thanks much.

Dave
Last i knew this is a color form of P. cavimanus. these are definitely NOT communal and almost all cases i have heard of have had at least some casualties. i would highly reccomend that you not try and keep these like emperors. if you want to play it safe these should be housed individually and slightly dryer than emperor scorpions. good luck

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last i knew this is a color form of P. cavimanus. these are definitely NOT communal and almost all cases i have heard of have had at least some casualties. i would highly reccomend that you not try and keep these like emperors. if you want to play it safe these should be housed individually and slightly dryer than emperor scorpions. good luck

John

Hi John,

That's not entirely true (strictly taken). P cavimanus has two color forms, a reddish one and a black one, both belonging to the same species.
P.militaris is a junior synonym of P.cavimanus. What you say about keeping communal and the advise about captive conditions is spot on!

Cheers, Michiel

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi John,

That's not entirely true (strictly taken). P cavimanus has two color forms, a reddish one and a black one, both belonging to the same species.
P.militaris is a junior synonym of P.cavimanus. What you say about keeping communal and the advise about captive conditions is spot on!

Cheers, Michiel
I disagree about the communal comments, but I guess it's hit or miss. I kept P. cavi's communally for ages with no problems before I traded them off. Just made sure they were all relatively the same size and not too many males, and I was golden. Gave them at least one hide to each scorp but they started sharing burrows. I actually kinda miss em...thinking of getting more. Tarantula inc got more nice one's in you say? Hmmm :drool:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi John,

Cheers, Michiel
wouldnt a junior synonym imply that it is the same species? i thought that cf stood for color form, ergo if miliraris is a synonym for cavimanus and it is labled pandinus cf cavimanus would that not mean that it is the militaris color form of cavimanus?

In regards to communality, yes there are people who can prove me wrong, i never said it was an absolute, nothing in this world is, but the chances of failure in keeping them communaly are far higher than the chances of success. for every one case i can think of where it has worked i can think of about 10 where it didnt. Therefore i say if you are worried about the risk i would suggest not taking it.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi John,

Yes, it does imply it is the same species, but because P.militaris is the junior synonym, the name P.cavimanus needs to be used. This means that P.cavimanus has two color forms and the name P.militaris is obsolete (is this the correct word?) and should not be used anymore. So P.militaris is not a colorform of P.cavimanus. I hope to have explained it a bit now.

The abbrevation cf. stands for color form (in the hobby), but what it is meant here is cf. : confer, confero (compare/comparable). So when someone cannot identify a certain species for 100% but it does correspond to another described species, it is named i.e. Babycurus cf. gigas.

Cheers, Michiel

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pandinus cf cavimanus...In regards to communality...for every one case i can think of where it has worked i can think of about 10 where it didnt. Therefore i say if you are worried about the risk i would suggest not taking it.

John
Not trying to be a prick, but where are you getting your stats from? Doing some searches on Cavimanus/communal and cavimanus/cannibalism on this site shows most of the first hand evidence (people actually doing it) to be successful and nearly everyone saying these guys dont play nice presenting no first hand evidence (and most of the first hand negative evidence mentions fighting only with no fatalities..there's bound to be some territorial scuffles here and there). Also, the only 2 suppliers I spoke to for these species kept them communally as well. I just don't buy it that these guys are mostly cannibals.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi John,

Yes, it does imply it is the same species, but because P.militaris is the junior synonym, the name P.cavimanus needs to be used. This means that P.cavimanus has two color forms and the name P.militaris is obsolete (is this the correct word?) and should not be used anymore. So P.militaris is not a colorform of P.cavimanus. I hope to have explained it a bit now.
OK, now I understand the situation there, I wasn't sure what the deal was in earlier threads.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not trying to be a prick, but where are you getting your stats from? Doing some searches on Cavimanus/communal and cavimanus/cannibalism on this site shows most of the first hand evidence (people actually doing it) to be successful and nearly everyone saying these guys dont play nice presenting no first hand evidence (and most of the first hand negative evidence mentions fighting only with no fatalities..there's bound to be some territorial scuffles here and there). Also, the only 2 suppliers I spoke to for these species kept them communally as well. I just don't buy it that these guys are mostly cannibals.
i'm speaking from personal experience and the experience of friends. I didnt give any stats, i said speaking form my experience and the experience of others i know. its been the experience of me on several occasions as well as numerous other people i know that they kill cagemates even if properly fed and given proper space and territories. thats the experience i have to offer its there for anyone to use or ignore as they see fit. i state nothing as fact, only my opinion.

John

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm speaking from personal experience and the experience of friends. I didnt give any stats, i said speaking form my experience and the experience of others i know. its been the experience of me on several occasions as well as numerous other people i know that they kill cagemates even if properly fed and given proper space and territories. thats the experience i have to offer its there for anyone to use or ignore as they see fit. i state nothing as fact, only my opinion.

John
Gotcha, the stats I was talking to were the 1 good vs 10 bad you mentioned earlier. Well, it appears to be hit or miss and I've been lucky {D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok then, is the "CH" in your name pronounced as a K sound or a SH sound?{D

John
Neither! I believe there is no pronounciation in English :D If I write it phonetically it would be:

Mee-ch-eel . CH should be pronounced as Jesus, but in spanish so Gesus, not Hesus. It is the dutch version of Michael ;)