(Pandinus caviminus) African Red Claw

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was looking at one of these online and was wandering what their temperment is like, are they docile like the boring imperator?

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are 10 times more aggressive than Pandinus imperator. Though like P imperator they will retreat when they can.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, ive had 'em over a year and im kinda tired of my boring emp. Im ready to move up to something more aggressive and interesting. What are some good agressive species that are at least 4 inches big? Im currently looking into b. jacksoni, are these communal?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. jacksoni are communal, but they wont get 4".

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get a community of Barkscorpions if you want something more interesting.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Being big isn't always great though, smaller scorpions are easier to keep in nice sized groups, probaly easier to maintain and most of them breed much faster. I suggest you follow Brians advice, plus bark scorpions will hang out in the open far more than your emp.

ED

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, i was thinking that all along. Are male b. jacksoni bigger than female? How much can i get 4 adults for? Cause i know i cant keep juveniles communally due to possiblity of cannibalism during molts...

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mostly, hide even more.
Really?!? I have three and at least one is always out doing something. Last time I threw a cricket in there one of them chased the cricket half the way across the tank. Aggressive as all hell, but their venom is very mild. An interesting species, good deal for the money IMO.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This species isn't 10x more aggressive than emps. Only slightly. I handle my cavimanus as well as others and have had no problems with their defensiveness.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, i was thinking that all along. Are male b. jacksoni bigger than female? How much can i get 4 adults for? Cause i know i cant keep juveniles communally due to possiblity of cannibalism during molts...
I would suggest buying juveniles and keeping them in seperate viles until they mature. If your concerned about canibalism, you should also be concerned with longivity, so a juvenile would mean you have some healthy llittle bugs that have a long life ahead of them. Then if you want to breed you have some expirence raising juveniles also.

Ed

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This species isn't 10x more aggressive than emps. Only slightly. I handle my cavimanus as well as others and have had no problems with their defensiveness.
I dissagree, my emp never turned around and attacked the forceps when I picked it up.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well looks like i am gonna be buying bark scorpions! in a 20 gallon tank how many would exist comfortabely