Pandinus Cavimanus

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone here keep this species? I think they are absolutely incredible to look at, as I saw a few in a local pet shop recently. They unfortunately sold them before I returned. Do any online shops carry them?

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do all P. cavimanus have the inditations in their pedipalp? The picture that I saw seemed to show them lacking that feature, and that's what I remember very distinctly from them.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are very long scorpions. One of my local pet shops had one and they had it as an Asian Forest scorpion. It was about 8" long, and it was very sick. I think someone eventually bought it, though.

freetosting

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 4 1/2 inch one, yes he is awesome to look at, but he is never out. He may peek out once a week at night, but other then that. Although yes he is a awesome looking scorp for sure.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Diao
Do all P. cavimanus have the inditations in their pedipalp? The picture that I saw seemed to show them lacking that feature, and that's what I remember very distinctly from them.
This species is dimorphic, with the females lacking the indented chela. The females look like miniature red tinted emperors. Only the males have the large indented red claws.

Best wishes,

Paul

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What does this species have special with their chela? I've looked at different pictures and I don't see why their chela are so different.

Thanks, Frank

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They have these indintions right above the actual pincer. It looks fairly wicked.:)

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This isn't the best picture to tell from, but you get the idea. They are actually an orange and brown colored scorpion. Very intense.

<image removed due to copyright - MrD>

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Paul,

I didn't know P. cavimanus females had emp like claws. I thought females just had less coloration than males. I always thought they developed the indentations when they reached maturity. Interesting.

Frank,

Was that question directed for the P. viatoris or P. cavimanus info? I believe both male and female P. viatoris have emp like claws. If you see an adult male P. cavimanus in person you will notice the difference.

W. Smith

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by CID143ti
Hey Paul,

I didn't know P. cavimanus females had emp like claws. I thought females just had less coloration than males. I always thought they developed the indentations when they reached maturity. Interesting.

Frank,

Was that question directed for the P. viatoris or P. cavimanus info? I believe both male and female P. viatoris have emp like claws. If you see an adult male P. cavimanus in person you will notice the difference.

W. Smith
I can vouch that female P. cavimanus look like miniature Emps. I own one named Sasori. She doesn't have really vivid coloration but she more than makes up for that with her feistiness.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Paul,

W. Smith
Hi William,

Yes, surprised me too when I found out! There are various amounts of coloration/shades in the species as well! some being a dark red, some a light red, some orangish, etc. and individual specimens sport differing amounts of reddish color on the legs, chela, and mesosoma/metasoma.

Best wishes,

Paul

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Paul,

I'll keep that in mind. I've kept some smaller P. cavimanus before. They lacked the indentations in their claws. I guess that means the were females. I've only kept one adult...the male that I have now.

W. Smith

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Paul,

I'll keep that in mind. I've kept some smaller P. cavimanus before. They lacked the indentations in their claws. I guess that means the were females. I've only kept one adult...the male that I have now.

W. Smith
Hi William,

Actually the indentations don't show on the male until close to or after maturity! So it can by trying attempting to sex them (hopefully there's an easier way!) at juvenile stage.

Best wishes,

Paul