Pandinus Cavimanus running from small crickets

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
My cavimanus is afraid of small crickets and wont eat. Is this normal? It has been like this for many weeks now. It is 3 cm long. And do scorpions drink? Because mine havent drinked anything either. It is atleast very active when I pinch on it with tweezers. 20161130_165530.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes they just ignore food for a while. It still looks healthy, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It could be drinking when you aren't looking (maybe at night).

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Looking at the photo its either not hungry or pre molt, judging by the expansion of the body segments. Also its in defense mode, tail in strike position and pedipalps ready to grab. They don't need to be prodded/pinched to get a reaction. ;)
I have 2 of these beasts, skittish is the norm for most Pandinus sp.
Only scorpion I've seen take water from a dish is H. arizonensis, then bolted back in its burrow.
Oops, had to edit species, been a long 24 hours, need rack time.

Last edited:

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
Pinching with tweezers is harmful...

Imagine being pinched and prodded by a giant metal pair of chopsticks. It would be unpleasant.
I worded it wrong...
I meant that I touched it with a tweezer, not pinched. And I dont do it often. I do not press it hard with tweezers either...

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I worded it wrong...
I meant that I touched it with a tweezer, not pinched. And I dont do it often. I do not press it hard with tweezers either...
Yeah, just make sure to be gentle with these creatures!

It looks pretty fat, and I wouldn't be worried if it refused food.

HexaDiplo

Arachnopeon
Looking at the photo its either not hungry or pre molt, judging by the expansion of the body segments. Also its in defense mode, tail in strike position and pedipalps ready to grab. They don't need to be prodded/pinched to get a reaction. ;)
I have 5 of these beasts, skittish is the norm for most Heterometrus sp.
Only scorpion I've seen take water from a dish is H. arizonensis, then bolted back in its burrow.
I have just one question now...
How long time is it between every molt with young scorpions like this in ca. 22 Celsius? Ive had it since late summer last year.