Pandinus and Heterometrus Communal Species

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Are all Pandinus and Heterometrus species communal? I’m considering getting a few red claws and maybe some AFS (Asian Forrest Scorpions) and was wondering which ones besides emps were communal. I would like to minimize the number of setups I need but before anyone yells at me for attempting to crossbreed species I want to clarify that I wouldn’t mix different species in the same tank, each different species of scorpion would have its own communal enclosure to live in. What species from these two groups have you guys found to be communal? Thanks.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they can be, make sure as always have multiple hides, plenty of space and keep them well fed, dont mix them though

IE red claws and ASF in the same tank.

I have seen it done but its a ticking time bomb imo

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pandinus cavimanus is the most unpredictable and hostile pandinus sp, they are known to kill their tank mates from time to time even if they are from the same brood. My advice is keep them communal at your own risk if you want and make sure they are well fed at all times with lots of hides.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as previously mentioned i would not trust P. cavimanus to be communal. every time i have tried it did not end well. there are people who have more sucess with it but often as a result of a rather large setup constant feeding and tons of hiding spaces which if you are trying to conserve space might not be so practical. To say that scorpions that can dwell together without killing eachother are communal is a bit of a stretch. there are species including many buthidae species that all congregate close together and often do well together, and many heterometrus species and of course emperors are usually fine together, but given the opportunity i think most scorpions wouldnt hesitate a second to take out a roomate if they think they can manage. always pay close attention and never make the assumption that two will get along perfectly, especially if the specimen are not adults as the above goes double for a scorpion that comes across a tankmate in the process of molting.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P.cavimanus is not a great example of a "social" species. There are also Heterometrus species that are not communal, like H.mysorensis...
P.imperator, P.exitialis, H.spinifer, H.cyaneus, H.laoticus can be kept in small groups. When I house scorpions in groups, I keep the groups small and always with only a single male....This seems to work well with the Buthids I keep.

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info guys, that really helps. If I end up getting the red claws I’m going to keep them in separate tanks, I would hate to lose one. Does anyone know anything more about the communal habits of other Het species other than the ones already posted? What about H fulvipes?