Pandinus/‎Heterometrus id.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
About 4 inches long not including tail. They 2 look the same, but camera angles can be hard. Any idea of species and sex?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
they are both pandinus but i'm not sure which species. Could be Imperator. hard to tell the sex of them though, may be females

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If i can take any pictures that will help, I will do it. I got three of them from a wholesaler as P imperator. They all look the same and do have some granulation on their carapaces.

Two of them are pretty high strung for imperator. The third is more of what I expected. Anyone that have a id guide?

Sorry first real attempt at keeping scorpions.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
You can use these as a guide, look for the triangle shape behind the median eyes.
ImperatorVsDictator1.jpg ImperatorVsDictator2.jpg ImperatorVsDictator3.jpg
Indeed the dictator carapace is more granulated than imperator.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So after looking at all the evidence, I can conclude they are Pandinus species. How every they don't strict match either dictator or imperator. Hybrid maybe? Or new local?

Given I have might have a molt or two before they are adults, they are less then 4 inches right now, I can do the proper id on a molt.

Anyone got a quick id, here is all three of them. Bought from a whole seller sold as p. imperator from Tanzania.

Attachments

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
So by Lubed Tweezer's examples, these pics indicate they are Pandinus Imperator. The little groove is larger, and the top of the prosoma (head) is quite smooth. I can never remember which is which half the time :geek:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So by Lubed Tweezer's examples, these pics indicate they are Pandinus Imperator. The little groove is larger, and the top of the prosoma (head) is quite smooth. I can never remember which is which half the time :geek:
They are smoothish. They are rough, way more then the pictures but not like dictator. The are only about 4 inchs, so I am hoping for a molt to confirm. I bought they has imperator I hope they are.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Sometimes you just need to wait until they are at adult stage/last molt to properly ID them.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
P imperator are now CITES Appendix II, so to have been legally imported would require CITES papers. The seller, if they are legally imported, should be absolutely certain as to the species, because the CITES permits have to list the actual species and number imported.
The EU have banned their import.
The Pandinus species listed as CITES II are:

Pandinus camerounensis
Pandinus dictator
Pandinus gambiensis
Pandinus imperator
Pandinus roeseli

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got them whole sell. They could be CB, imported, or WC.

They where sold as P imperator, so any paper work would stated as much. The problem is that they have very small differences from imperator. They are in great condition so I would rule out wild caught or imported.

When I ordered them I suspected they would be Heteromertrus, whole selllers being what they are.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I got them whole sell. They could be CB, imported, or WC.

They where sold as P imperator, so any paper work would stated as much. The problem is that they have very small differences from imperator. They are in great condition so I would rule out wild caught or imported.

When I ordered them I suspected they would be Heteromertrus, whole selllers being what they are.
The point I was making is that if they are wc, then the seller will know what they are as there will be an official paper trail showing what they are and where they came from. Unless they were smuggled in of course.