Panchlora nivea(how to stop them!!!)

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep, so hopefully i will finally get around to ordering some p. nivea. Unfortunatly for me i have heard a lot about them being very effective about getting around vaseline. So, how exactly do you stop them?

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can use olive oil, in Spain is very common and cheaper than vaseline, and better.

If you don´t have olive oil, put vaseline and pray:) .

Good luck with them!:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can use olive oil, in Spain is very common and cheaper than vaseline, and better.

If you don´t have olive oil, put vaseline and pray:) .

Good luck with them!:)
i use olive oil and it is awesome. it stops B. germanica so i imagine it would stop P. nivea

vaseline is a joke. you might be able to get away with in in summer when it is more wet and less viscuous. but when it was ~80*F the nivea i *used* to have didn't even stop to laugh as they ran over it. and i'm not talking about super light nymphs... they ALL ran over it. i dropped them in a cage after unpacking their shipping box... turned around for something else and when i looked back the last nivea was giving me the finger as it made its successful escape

vaseline sucks for other reasons too. i left little dollops of it all over my room when i got some on my shirt sleeve one time. that was awful. if you use too much it seeps down and mixes with your substrate. it is well nigh unto impossible to 100% clean from cages, i am finding. i've tried as many low-toxicity cleaning solutions as i can think of and still can't get it fully cleaned up from any cages it has been on. oh, and it smells bad, too. heh.

also, i would not really expect to get answers in 4-5 hours. i would wait a good couple few days before getting miffed. sometimes you need to wait for the right ppl to wake up and get online.

rhacodactylus

Arachnopeon
I don't know if it will work for roaches, but I use a product called aluminum tape (or duct tape - but not the Red Green kind :) ). I buy it at the local big box hardware stores (like Home Depot). I have used it for 10+ years for my cricket that are in Rubbermaid containers and have never seen a cricket get passed it. It is 2" wide and has a peel off layer on the back. I put it about 3" from the top of the container and even if the crickets can climb up the Rubbermaid, they are not able to get past the tape.

Like I said, I have never used the tape for roaches (I only have discoids) but it works like a charm for the crickets. Hope this helps.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know if it will work for roaches, but I use a product called aluminum tape (or duct tape - but not the Red Green kind :) ). I buy it at the local big box hardware stores (like Home Depot). I have used it for 10+ years for my cricket that are in Rubbermaid containers and have never seen a cricket get passed it. It is 2" wide and has a peel off layer on the back. I put it about 3" from the top of the container and even if the crickets can climb up the Rubbermaid, they are not able to get past the tape.

Like I said, I have never used the tape for roaches (I only have discoids) but it works like a charm for the crickets. Hope this helps.
i'm not sure if that would work. glasswalking roaches have scopulae... patches of molecularily adhesive super fine hairs that adhere to anything. crickets lack these scopulae. essentially crickets climb smooth surfaces by finding dirt and/or imperfections to hook their feet into. glasswalker roaches can, well, walk on glass. olive oil works as a barrier because a superfine layer of the oil adheres to the scopulae and then lifts off the wall. the bugs eventually could wear away the oil... but if you renew it every couple months then no worries

speaking of other species... oil oil does NOT work to keep snails contained. they can ooze over it and they really seemed to like to eat it =P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i personally have a little 4oz (er... a small fraction of a liter, heh) tupperware that i keep a few ounces of oil in. i paint a 3-4" (8-10cm) band around the top of the roach container every couple months. to retouch sometimes i just get a bit of papertowel or my fingers and smear a few drops over the old barrier.

there are a couple problems you have to address with olive oil.

it catches dust out of the air... i suspect once enough dust has mixed with the OO it will become a mud that the roaches can walk on. i just reapply OO over the old when it starts to look dusty. i use a papertowel to remove some dust and add some OO.

if you apply too much at any one time it will will sort of pool via gravity and then the collected pools will drip down the side. not that big of a deal to me, but if you have a kind of semi-display type of setup you might want to be sure to use a little less to avoid the oil streaks.

it seems like i am forgetting something. oh well, hope it wasn't important, heh

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Herp 13,

I use TIGHT LIDS over clear "airspaces" that overlie plenty of hiding places that include plenty of moist substrate IN ADDITION TO more conventional "hides"because dry "hides" alone are so "dissatisfying" that they want out.

When they encounter "inadequate habitat" it is an understatement to say that they vote with their feet.
I have learned NOT to permit OVERCROWDING because that mistake also "registers" as "inadequate habitat."

When habitat IS adequate escape becomes less attractive.
Please check it out with that in mind.

Good luck!!!

Yours very truly,
Louise Esther Rothstein.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, i've got that part covered:) So you use a paper towel to apply OO?

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i personally have a little 4oz (er... a small fraction of a liter, heh) tupperware that i keep a few ounces of oil in. i paint a 3-4" (8-10cm) band around the top of the roach container every couple months. to retouch sometimes i just get a bit of papertowel or my fingers and smear a few drops over the old barrier.
Like me;) .

A question for cacoseraph: Where do you buy olive oil in the U.S.? How much is it? I´m curious;)

Thanks!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like me;) .

A question for cacoseraph: Where do you buy olive oil in the U.S.? How much is it? I´m curious;)

Thanks!
there are these discount type stores that sell things for 99 cents ($0.99) or $1. i bought mine there, i believe. or i stole it from my old kitchen... don't remember. at the dollar store you can usually get 4L of olive oil for $1

i buy most of my bug supplies at those discount stores. my absolute favorite thing to buy are these desert roll/cookie things. they come in a perfect size and shape plastic container for centipedes and taste great.{D

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My P. nivea nymphs never even try to escape. I do not use any barriers to contain them, other than the lid. I think the correct set-up keeps them happy and contained. However, the adults FLY! When I lift the lid, sometimes one or two escapes and I have to start chasing them down with a broom if I'm not fast enough.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear Herp 13,

I reinforce my lids by doubling cloth under each outer lid before clamping it closed...and by "uncrowding" them
sufficiently to make room for an airspace between their bedding and the "undertop"...without denying the babies plenty of moist substrate and the adults plenty of
hiding places in addition to food and water at all times.

Few try to escape from good habitat.
If one does take off,it will often return:
I have actually been able to cup returnees in my hand.

Yours very truly,
Louise E. Rothstein.

P.S.
I offer several dozen of these for $15 and several hundred for $25...if a check (or money order) comes to:

Louise E. Rothstein
2912 Zollinger Road
Columbus,OH 43221

aka crystalfan2912@yahoo.com

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I already ordered some from bugchick.com, but if i need more, i'll let you know:)

-Eric