Species Pamphobeteus sp. (Ecuador)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thought I'd share some molting shots I took tonight. It would be nice if females got and kept this color.

This guy isn't mature yet - only about 4.5" or so, I guess.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nice spider Becca,

I have several of the "Ecuador"s. Although Im still not clear on what or if there is a differance between species 1, 2, or south Ecuador, Ect...

In my expierance the females showed alot of purple on there femurs (typical of male Pamphobeteus) until about the 5-6 inch mark.

pics are of the same female, between the last two molts.
Later, Tom

Attachments

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In my expierance the females showed alot of purple on there femurs (typical of male Pamphobeteus) until about the 5-6 inch mark.
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that females didn't get it at all!

Do you happen to know around what size males typically mature?

border

Arachnopeon
Thought I'd share some molting shots I took tonight. It would be nice if females got and kept this color.

This guy isn't mature yet - only about 4.5" or so, I guess.

:worship: Excellet pics Beccas!!!:clap:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Do you happen to know around what size males typically mature?
I havent had any males mature so I cant say. Most of the other male Pampho's that I've seen were around 6 inches or so.

@ syndicate, This spider below was sold to me as "species 2". Its a female around 4 inches.

Attachments

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks philth.i think mine might be a male but not 100% yet.ill let u know if he hooks out

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this is spII sub adult male.cant find a female anywhere in uk at moment.Il have to get some better pics really.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
The Progression of Colors through Molts of Pamphobeteus sp. "South Ecuador" (Female specimen)

I think the color changes that this species goes through is incredible. I just wanted to make this thread to show this magnificent beast in all of the stages in it's life. I believe I received it as second instar (please correct me if I'm wrong) late January 2010. The last picture of her is from the beginning of February 2011 (just over a year).

2nd instar: (1.25")

3rd instar: (2.25")
(Freshly molted)

(Hardened up)

4th instar: (3.5")

5th instar: (4.5"+)

6th instar: (5.75"+)
(Hours after molting)

(Hardened up)

(Close-up of carapace)

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorrrgoeus ;)

She is a super pig. She has eaten 5 adult fat crickets, and i know she could keep going :).
Really nice T, this is a keeper and soon a gravid lady ;)

TomM

Old Timer
Gorrrgoeus ;)

She is a super pig. She has eaten 5 adult fat crickets, and i know she could keep going :).
Really nice T, this is a keeper and soon a gravid lady ;)
She's not one to turn down a meal. Not even a day before you got her she had a nice, plump adult dubia. And please, keep me updated on that breeding project. I just remembered what I was going to ask you, too. I'll be sending you a PM shortly!

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice! Thanks for documenting and sharing! :clap::clap::clap:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks great at all stages, but I find myself wishing it retained its abdominal pattern...............pretty impressive growth rate too!

TomM

Old Timer
Very nice! Thanks for documenting and sharing! :clap::clap::clap:
No problem. I thought it was pretty interesting so I thought I'd share.

Looks great at all stages, but I find myself wishing it retained its abdominal pattern...............pretty impressive growth rate too!
Yea, 4th instar was the best of both worlds, she still had the pattern and had a crazy pinkish sheen all over the carapace and legs. As for the growth, over 1" for every molt's pretty darn impressive.

Athelas

Arachnopeon
Nice series and beautiful Pamphobeteus!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomM

Old Timer
Here she is eating her last meal with me, a freshly molted adult male dubia (I didn't add a music track because the eating sounds at the end of the video are incredible, just watch):
You can watch it in HD on YouTube.
[YOUTUBE]sGm0dUvUMjY[/YOUTUBE]