Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma in Exo Terra

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Hi all, for those that saw my previous post on the person asking me to take their T off of them, I went ahead and picked her up last night.

This is the enclosure she came in, obviously this is not suitable. Screen lid, low substrate, no hide/burrow etc.

But my question is, could I make it suitable if I mod the lid (which I do to exo terra regardless) and slope the substrate higher or is this just entirely wrong altogether?

She seems to be an AF, but I haven't been able to measure DLS yet. The enclosure is 12 x 12 x12. I imagine this will have too little floorspace for her, but until I can afford an appropriate enclosure what can I do to help her be safe in this one?

I usually like to have everything in place before receiving the T but this was a last minute request from someone who wanted rid ASAP :(

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
That enclosure opens in the front so it might be hard to get enough substrate in there. I would rehouse it into a cheap kritter keeper-style enclosure and use that Exo Terra for an arboreal species instead.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
That enclosure opens in the front so it might be hard to get enough substrate in there. I would rehouse it into a cheap kritter keeper-style enclosure and use that Exo Terra for an arboreal species instead.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Because of the door being low I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a good substrate layer in, but being as she seems to have a fairly large leg span, would creating a sloped floor still be safe enough for her? If it's really not a good option then I'll grab one of those plastic enclosures for sure.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Because of the door being low I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a good substrate layer in, but being as she seems to have a fairly large leg span, would creating a sloped floor still be safe enough for her? If it's really not a good option then I'll grab one of those plastic enclosures for sure.
It might be fine, but personally I would not do it. "Pamphos" are clumsy climbers and being somewhat heavy they might easily injure themselves from a fall.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
It might be fine, but personally I would not do it. "Pamphos" are clumsy climbers and being somewhat heavy they might easily injure themselves from a fall.
Yeah, I think you're right and I'd rather not take the risk. Will go and grab one of those large plastic enclosures today and rehouse this eve. Thank you :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I would not keep it in there, even if you have to just get a storage tub or something not clear for the meantime I woykd do that instead. Too dangerous as it is now and probably even with slope

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I would not keep it in there, even if you have to just get a storage tub or something not clear for the meantime I woykd do that instead. Too dangerous as it is now and probably even with slope
Yeah, after sitting and thinking about it a bit more I totally agree with both of you for sure. She'll be going into a much safer enclosure this evening with room for a good amount of sub. I actually had a storage box picked out to use as an emergency enclosure, but managed to get hold of a large kritter keeper style thing, so she'll be going in there.

I'll hang onto this Exo Terra and use it for a different species at some point after modding it maybe, but I certainly think it'd be a death trap to leave her in it. Kind of a miracle that I received her in one piece! The previous owner says she's a bit fiesty, but I reckon that could be down to the fact that the poor thing has nowhere to hide or feel secure. Although, that may also just be her temperment, we will see.

Can't wait to fix her new enclosure up later and get her settled in :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nice! What sp. are you filling them with?
Well I need to make one for a suspect female Psalmopoeus irminia that will fit this piece of wood I carved for it, I kinda want to use it but I know it will likely lead to me not seeing it very much lol, but It will probably be happy in it;
and then one for another Psalmopoeus species, as well as at least one Aviculariinae adult enclosure, but judging on how slow my Caribena versicolor is growing I may not need it very soon. And then I need to make one for my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens that may mature or get close to it this year, I need to get its molt soon to see if I need to make an official female adult enclosure or only do a temporary MM enclosure.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Well I need to make one for a suspect female Psalmopoeus irminia that will fit this piece of wood I carved for it, I kinda want to use it but I know it will likely lead to me not seeing it very much lol, but It will probably be happy in it;
and then one for another Psalmopoeus species, as well as at least one Aviculariinae adult enclosure, but judging on how slow my Caribena versicolor is growing I may not need it very soon. And then I need to make one for my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens that may mature or get close to it this year, I need to get its molt soon to see if I need to make an official female adult enclosure or only do a temporary MM enclosure.
Oh your irminia gonna LOVE that. Amazing idea!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh your irminia gonna LOVE that. Amazing idea!
Yeah I Think it really would!! That piece is about 13in tall and takes up about 9in in width from corner out to the side entrance, but only a few inches deep, So im thinking of making an enclosure that is around 12x12x16 or 12x10x16.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Yeah I Think it really would!! That piece is about 13in tall and takes up about 9in in width from corner out to the side entrance, but only a few inches deep, So im thinking of making an enclosure that is around 12x12x16 or 12x10x16.
Will make sure I keep an eye out for that! Will be great to see.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Will make sure I keep an eye out for that! Will be great to see.
Will probably start to make it in the next couple months, Yuri Slovak the Turkish Ambassador to Irminia the P. irminia is about 3in now so It will be an adult sometime this year likely so I'll need to do something before all too long. She'll be okay whhat shes in until about 4.5in on the max size. SO might be able to go into adult if I upsize a little.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Why don't you do what everyone else does- tip on its side, doors open up! I don't understand why more people don't think about actually rotating the tank, rather than accepting it as is..................