Pamphobeteus sp. "Lightning Blue"?

MarknMiami

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been out of the hobby for several years now and am slowly getting back into it...I am seeing a lot of new Pamphobeteus species and was wondering about a particular one called Pamphobeteus "Lightning Blue"...Has anyone got any information on that one?..I've looked around but found very little about it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They are Pamphobeteus antinous.
They're Pamphobeteus cf. "antinous", there are various forms all located from Peru, AFAIK there's Big Black (also sold as Steely Blue, pictured below), Iquitos, and Lightning Blue, there may be another that I'm forgetting (EDIT: There is, Purple Earth is the final one).

The real Pamphobeteus antinous is a smaller species from Bolivia.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're Pamphobeteus cf. "antinous", there are various forms all located from Peru, AFAIK there's Big Black (also sold as Steely Blue, pictured below), Iquitos, and Lightning Blue, there may be another that I'm forgetting (EDIT: There is, Purple Earth is the final one).

Sounds like cannabis strains esp Purp!

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron

So crucify me for forgetting the .cf. lol.

MarknMiami

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are Pamphobeteus antinous.
Thanks for the response, I had heard thats what they were but wasn't sure as I saw some for sale but they also had P. antinous for sale as well so I thought it was something different.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah, not sure who comes up with all these dumbass names lol
I know, right? They come up with these stupid but somewhat "cool sounding" names and apparently a bunch of suckers fall for it every time. I really hate some common names because some of them sound so ridiculous...just an obvious cash grab.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
There is method to the naming madness. All of the ones coming out of Peru are ‘antinous type’ as they’re likely related to the true Bolivian antinous. There’s a number of different localities:
Iquitos
Cordillera Azul
Lightning Blue
Big Black
Tambopata

and probably a few others. Iquitos, Tambopata and Cordillera Azul are definitely different animals as from the photos some are stockier once mature while others are more slender. But I’m wondering how many sellers are just slapping these names on any antinous they get their hands on.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't really trust it unless it's a WC import, or a reputable vendor can trace it back to a known WC import.
I've bought sp tambopata and was told by a reputable vendor that it's just 'big black' and was mislabeled.
It just highlights the risks with buying ambiguous looking captive bred stock.