Pamphobeteus cf. nigricolor vs. Pamphobeteus nigricolor Photo Comparison

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Recently there was discussion regarding the hobby Pamphobeteus 'nigricolor' (cf. nigricolor) and the true Pamphobeteus nigricolor. Saw some photos of the true P. nigricolor in the 'Genus Pamphobeteus' thread a while back but haven't seen any recent ones. Also had the paper downloaded somewhere describing the species (I think, it's been a while since I perused my article library). Anyways, the photo below of is two females who have molted within the past two months, one being a bit older than the other one, but they're around the same size.

As spiderlings, the cf. nigricolor does have a 'Christmas tree' pattern, while the P. nigricolor does not. I currently do not have a photo of the true P. nigricolor as a sling, but I do own two specimens of the P. cf. nigricolor.

Anyways, I thought that you would all like to see the difference as it's a bit hard finding one of the true P. nigricolor.

P. cf. nigricolor w/ 'Christmas tree' pattern still
nigri.jpeg

P. cf. nigricolor on the left, P. nigricolor on the right
P.nigricolorHFvsTRUE.jpg
Image courtesy of Arachnoiden

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just curious on how this spider is listed as true nigricolor and is it correctly ID by whom and where are the papers? I hope that it's correctly ID this time and not another oops. All Pamphobeteus are good looking and I wish that an updated taxonomy work could be done correctly with this species as well as others.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm just curious on how this spider is listed as true nigricolor and is it correctly ID by whom? I hope that it's correctly ID this time and not another oops. All Pamphobeteus are good looking and I wish that an updated taxonomy work could be done correctly with this species as well as others.
If I remember correctly, the one in the photo is from the stock they have in Germany. You're right that they very well could be just another oops. And I completely agree, I wish that the species as a whole could get updated as it's my favorite genus over all.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The hobby is notorious of having Pamphobeteus species as sp. probably one of the worst genus in the hobby. So many non ID species.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the so called "true" nigricolor was found near the typ locality (as near as other species, which was described by AUSSERER). they were determined many years ago by BISCHOFF.
They fits into the description by AUSSERER and in the drawings (of the type material) by SCHIAPELLI & GERSCHMAN, especially in the bulbmorphologie.

but excluding the "true" nigricolor there was two different species with the dorsal abdominal pattern, labeled as "nigricolor". the one is the sp GOLIATH / sp. GOLIATH SANTO DOMINGO and a other one with a broader embolus and different shaped keels (see pic below).

from left to right; P. sp. NIGRICOLOR, P. sp. GOLIATH, P. nigricolor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the so called "true" nigricolor was found near the typ locality (as near as other species, which was described by AUSSERER). they were determined many years ago by BISCHOFF.
They fits into the description by AUSSERER and in the drawings (of the type material) by SCHIAPELLI & GERSCHMAN, especially in the bulbmorphologie.

but excluding the "true" nigricolor there was two different species with the dorsal abdominal pattern, labeled as "nigricolor". the one is the sp GOLIATH / sp. GOLIATH SANTO DOMINGO and a other one with a broader embolus and different shaped keels (see pic below).

Do you happen to have a link that you can post of the description of the Pamphobeteus nigricolor?

RoVa85

Arachnopeon
This was labeled Pamphobeteus nigricolor when I purchased it. It is a confirmed female. The pictures of the T were taken within a week of it molting. I am curious to hear what you guys think of this specimen.

Attachments

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
If the person you bought it from has pictures of it having its baby coloration it would be easy to tell.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Pamphobeteus nigricolor_3.jpg

This looks so much like my p. machala female I bought from Ken the Bug Guy as a "four inch" female imported from Europe a couple years back. She really hasn't grown much and her last molt measured vertically was exactly seven inches.

This pampho genus needs a lot of scientific work. There must be close to twenty different names for pampho "species" sold by dealers in the USA.

Notice the quotes I put around "species"

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the person you bought it from has pictures of it having its baby coloration it would be easy to tell.
the juvenil color pattern maybe leads you only to groups of similar species.

the P. sp. NIGRICOLOR and the P. sp. St. DOMINGO (also sold as nigricolor), i´ve showed above, had the same juvenile color with the tree-pattern. but they are different species.

juveniles with white marks, like nigricolor, we can found at the P. sp. PETERSI from N-Peru and another P. sp. from S-Peru.

bye

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
the juvenil color pattern maybe leads you only to groups of similar species.

the P. sp. NIGRICOLOR and the P. sp. St. DOMINGO (also sold as nigricolor), i´ve showed above, had the same juvenile color with the tree-pattern. but they are different species.

juveniles with white marks, like nigricolor, we can found at the P. sp. PETERSI from N-Peru and another P. sp. from S-Peru.

bye

That's the point of me wanting the picture, so I can narrow it down, not ID it to a species level.

Susej

Arachnopeon

Hi! Is it possible you re upload picture again? I own a "cf. nigricolor" and reading this makes me wonder how it looks... without and with flash

Attachments