Pairing Obligate Burrowers

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just a reminder that her sac will be a hammock sac. I'm sure you knew, but not sure that you took that into account. I generally leave the hammocks in with mom and let them hatch with her. It can be a bit of a circus to wrangle the slings later, but just get mom out and be patient and it's doable.

I've been expecting a molt from my darlingi for a year now and no luck. Maybe more, actually. She hasn't eaten in ages. Her spirit animal is a rosea.
Yes, I knew of the hammock sac, but I'm very interested in why you allow them to hatch with her. How soon does cannibalism set in? Do the slings disperse? Should I bother with having her enclosure inside a container as I described above?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yes, I knew of the hammock sac, but I'm very interested in why you allow them to hatch with her. How soon does cannibalism set in? Do the slings disperse? Should I bother with having her enclosure inside a container as I described above?
I've never had baboon cannibalism, even when I've left the slings together for a few instars. I usually separate them when I ship them off, which has been as late as 3 or 4i. They disperse some, but I haven't had them go far in the early instars. Most seem to web up their own square inch or so and hunker down. I just cover my enclosures with a dishtowel, which is sling-proof. If you do a double enclosure, be sure you check regularly or else put a damp towel down so the slings don't desiccate if they escape. I had some OBT slings escape and they all dehydrated and died overnight in about a 3' radius around their enclosure. It was really sad. Fortunately there weren't too many lost, but I would expect an empty container to be similarly inhospitable.

I hope that was clear. I'm freezing right now, and I think my brain is numb. I can't think when I'm cold.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never had baboon cannibalism, even when I've left the slings together for a few instars. I usually separate them when I ship them off, which has been as late as 3 or 4i. They disperse some, but I haven't had them go far in the early instars. Most seem to web up their own square inch or so and hunker down. I just cover my enclosures with a dishtowel, which is sling-proof. If you do a double enclosure, be sure you check regularly or else put a damp towel down so the slings don't desiccate if they escape. I had some OBT slings escape and they all dehydrated and died overnight in about a 3' radius around their enclosure. It was really sad. Fortunately there weren't too many lost, but I would expect an empty container to be similarly inhospitable.

I hope that was clear. I'm freezing right now, and I think my brain is numb. I can't think when I'm cold.
Wow, impressive. I wouldn't think that they'd tolerate each other for that long. I think that I'd still dig them out after they hatch, simply because I don't see how they'd get any food unless Momma T would feed them.

Thank you very much for the information, I might be doing this after all.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Wow, impressive. I wouldn't think that they'd tolerate each other for that long. I think that I'd still dig them out after they hatch, simply because I don't see how they'd get any food unless Momma T would feed them.

Thank you very much for the information, I might be doing this after all.
I do leave mom in there until I'm ready to pull the babies. Then she's the first out so I don't have to work around her. I usually cut up crix or mealworms for the little ones that are living together and sprinkle chunks around. When I get all the kids out, I take the opportunity to spruce up mom's home before reintroducing her to the same enclosure with the same substrate. It seems to help her settle in even if the burrow is a bit messed up.

Good luck! Message me if you have more questions. I'm bad at looking at forums, but I check my inbox.

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
It appears as if my AF C. darlingi has finally entered premolt again, meaning I'd like to pair her shortly after her molt. I have two small logistical questions regarding this. I'm asking now because I'd like to rehouse her if need be if this enclosure won't accommodate the breeding. She's currently in a large tea jug with about 14" of substrate, which she's dug to the bottom.

Firstly, how exactly would I know if she even drops a sac? I'm not fond of the idea of wrangling slings, but I have no way of seeing her or a sac.

Secondly, if I find out that she does drop a sac, how on earth do I get it away from her without completely digging her up (and possibly harm the eggs)?

These seem like basic questions, but I can't for the life of me find a breeding report that goes over this. The only 'solution' I've found is housing her in an enclosure with <6" of substrate... which is not an option to me.
can you make a video of the pairing i love your youtube vids

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
can you make a video of the pairing i love your youtube vids
Appreciate it :) I very likely will film it, but it won't be for quite some time. I don't expect to see her for six months at best, more likely around 8 months. And then another couple of months for me to fatten her up and have her settle down... and then waiting for a male...

This hobby teaches you patience, that's for sure!

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
Appreciate it :) I very likely will film it, but it won't be for quite some time. I don't expect to see her for six months at best, more likely around 8 months. And then another couple of months for me to fatten her up and have her settle down... and then waiting for a male...

This hobby teaches you patience, that's for sure!
yep thats true

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Pardon me for being naive, but hammock sac was mentioned. I understand what a hammock might be and figure that relates to the way the eggs are enveloped? Does this type just mean the egg sac is more fragile than a standard one? or not sealed?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Pardon me for being naive, but hammock sac was mentioned. I understand what a hammock might be and figure that relates to the way the eggs are enveloped? Does this type just mean the egg sac is more fragile than a standard one? or not sealed?
The type of egg sac most people picture is a big, poofy ball that mom carries around in her fangs. Most African tarantulas have a different design. Instead of a mobile sac, they have a fixed egg sac. The babies are suspended in a sort of hammock of silk that mom can't move.

The first sac here is a ball type sac (no laughing), and the second is a hammock. Now I'm gonna catch heat for the screen, lol, but it was the best pic I have on hand.
IMG_1018.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Does this type just mean the egg sac is more fragile than a standard one? or not sealed?
Definitely not more fragile...in fact probably less fragile as they don't need to be rolled around and cared for. I recall @Poec54 saying that he almost never loses a hammock sac or has one go bad.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Definitely not more fragile...in fact probably less fragile as they don't need to be rolled around and cared for. I recall @Poec54 saying that he almost never loses a hammock sac or has one go bad.
Since this thread has served its purpose, let's speculate :D

First, do all baboons do this? Or only burrowers? The method is clearly adapted for life underground, but there's no reason it couldn't be done in an arboreal setting as well.

Second, if the eggs don't need to be cared for, then why would the tarantula mother stick around? Why not lay eggs and leave to live her life like so many animals do?

Finally, how on earth can it avoid molding? I thought that the whole purpose of the mother rotating the egg sac was to prevent mold and to never have some eggs perminantly on top of others.

cold blood

Staff member
Second, if the eggs don't need to be cared for, then why would the tarantula mother stick around? Why not lay eggs and leave to live her life like so many animals do?

Finally, how on earth can it avoid molding? I thought that the whole purpose of the mother rotating the egg sac was to prevent mold and to never have some eggs perminantly on top of others.
Mother sticks around because 1) its her burrow, where she will likely spend much, if not all of her life, and 2) simple protection....#1 rule of animal parenting, don't get between mom and baby...a moose will kill you as quick as a bear, and I doubt anything is touching a sac without a fang meeting them prior.

These species live is ultra dry climates, mold is hardly an issue in such places. I'm sure there is also something in the way its built, but I can't answer to that.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Ah, I really didn't want to rehouse her, especially in an enclosure with relatively little substrate. Oh well, it looks like I don't have much of an option.
I recently started working on C lividum and I did close to whats been explained already, I rehoused here into an enclosure with around 7-8" of sub that was substantially longer/wider. form what i can tell she has enjoyed this MORE than her old, squarefeet<cubic feet enclosure. I find she has been eating far more readily and more actively remodles and burrows in the wider enclosure. It made maintainance, pairing, and feeding far easier.

as far as my opinion goes, with OB species, so long as they have enough substrate to completely escape underground and have enough to support their tunnel system it would be fine. Sure if they had more substrate they would burrow further, but IMO this doesnt necessarily correlate to their comfort. As far as theyre concerned their whole enclosure is their burrow already (at least in my case, because my OB's are in the largest enclosures and thus at the bottom of stacks, making their enclosures quite dark 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Since this thread has served its purpose, let's speculate :D

First, do all baboons do this? Or only burrowers? The method is clearly adapted for life underground, but there's no reason it couldn't be done in an arboreal setting as well.

S calc does this. they paste the sac to the side of the enclosure or at the bottom of their corkbark or tube and do not rotate them at all. This was actually worrisome for me but I pulled the sac today and sure enough 100% success with all eggs with legs, no clumping like you see with new world sacs that arent rolled properly. I suspect OB's an d other OW species that use hammock sacs have another coating on the embryo that prevents the cumping

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Not all Africans do. My Heterothele gabonensis, for example, had a ball. I found it after the fact, though :shifty:

I mostly agree with what CB said, except the "ultra dry" part. Not all baboons live in dry areas, and most breed during the wet season. The airflow around the eggs plus mom's innate ability to pick the best depth/humidity in her burrow to lay should be enough to keep mold away.

Poec speculated once that the hammock was beneficial because the eggs would still develop and hatch if mom were killed. Sounds good to me.

Grats on the baby hellspawn, @Haksilence!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Not all Africans do. My Heterothele gabonensis, for example, had a ball. I found it after the fact, though :shifty:

I mostly agree with what CB said, except the "ultra dry" part. Not all baboons live in dry areas, and most breed during the wet season. The airflow around the eggs plus mom's innate ability to pick the best depth/humidity in her burrow to lay should be enough to keep mold away.

Poec speculated once that the hammock was beneficial because the eggs would still develop and hatch if mom were killed. Sounds good to me.

Grats on the baby hellspawn, @Haksilence!

thanks thistles!!