Paint

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Okay so my neighbor has been painting motorcycle parts in the basement and the smell comes through the air vents. It's definitely there, enough to make me want to open a window and air it out.

Just got a text that he's doing it today but I'm not home right now to open a window.

Has anyone had issues with this kind of thing being a problem? It's not directly in the room, it's residual that's detectable when the furnace runs. That's why I am asking because this isn't as clear cut as the obvious answer if someone was actually painting in the room itself.

Thanks.

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure I understand the question. However, the air is not harmful to arachnoids, should you keep reptiles that looks different, although I would only see frequent pollution as a problem here.
But as I said, I'm not sure if that was the question ...

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Would be interested to know the answer to this as my family are planning on decorating the living room soon... My T's are all in my room, but is only a floor.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Without thinking too much, I painted a cupboard and a table; the animals stood by, but were completely unimpressed.
I worked with aerosol cans and it smelled bad ...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know if the crap you spray onto motorcycle parts is chemically different than room paint or not but thats why I'm asking. I also have some Latrodectus and my feeders as well in addition to my Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

I honestly wish he'd just spray outside instead of where he does as it wouldn't even be an issue then but that'd be asking too much. :meh:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
If I understand you correctly he does not spray in your rooms, that would mean the smell, but the gases arrive diluted in your rooms. There should still be enough oxygen in the air, I don't think that there are substances similar to insecticides in the paintwork. If so, in my opinion the only problem would be the insufficient oxygen content. How it is with more sensitive animals than tarantulas ... I can't comment on that.

And yes, it also would be better for him to spray outside...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
or have some decent vent fans.
I'd have a chat. Tell him he has 2 choices, get better ventilation or you can always shut him down. Heck, I just have my latrodectus collection loose in my yard and home......dang geometricus are taking over though, sad

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay so my neighbor has been painting motorcycle parts in the basement and the smell comes through the air vents. It's definitely there, enough to make me want to open a window and air it out.

Just got a text that he's doing it today but I'm not home right now to open a window.

Has anyone had issues with this kind of thing being a problem? It's not directly in the room, it's residual that's detectable when the furnace runs. That's why I am asking because this isn't as clear cut as the obvious answer if someone was actually painting in the room itself.

Thanks.
Nothing would surprise me on this one, good luck, I hope nothing happens.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
So if he's using automotive paint it is different from standard spray paint. I would for sure err on the side of caution and ventilate. (I really cant believe he's spraying it in the apartment he lives in to be honest, maybe he likes the smell....)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So if he's using automotive paint it is different from standard spray paint. I would for sure err on the side of caution and ventilate. (I really cant believe he's spraying it in the apartment he lives in to be honest, maybe he likes the smell....)
It's a shared basement and he's spraying down there. The furnace is a forced air unit which is why I can smell it (it sucks in the air from the environment)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I wouldn't think it'd be an issue, I use automotive primer to prime miniatures in the room nextdoor to mine, been doing it for 9 months and never had an issue.

Would be interested to know the answer to this as my family are planning on decorating the living room soon... My T's are all in my room, but is only a floor.
Water based emulsion won't cause any issues even if you use it in the same room as them, stuff like gloss I'd keep the windows open if I was painting in the same room but if the room being painted isn't even on the same floor then I wouldn't worry about it.