Paint fumes

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi.

I just bought a house... and the T's get their own room! Anyway I am planning on moving this weekend... but the T room won't be painted until Thursday/friday. (I wanted the T's OVER there by then) I'm going to put the T's in a seperate place temporarly - but when can I put them in the room?

If it's painted Thursday - will I be able to set them up Friday or saturday? Or should I wait longer?

Just concerned about lingering paint fumes and T's.

thanks.

- Sharon

PS how do you search with an "and"??? I tried Paint and fumes, paint + fumes, and paint & fumes (I also tried this "paint fumes" but got nothing) - and for the most part I ended up with a zillion threads that had nothing to do with what I was looking for.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say just make sure the room is well-ventilated and aired out before you move them in, and they should do just fine.

:D

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
herm. I don't think there are any screens on thouse windows - and the front is xeroscaped with nice purple bushes... full of bees.

Ill get screens eventualy but things like heat were more important. (needed to buy a new furnice - also going to put baseboard heating in the T room)

I'll run the fan and open the window (that does have screens) in the nearby living room.

- Sharon

Hanes

Arachnosquire
I would judge it by smell, if you can't smell the fumes when you walk in the room it should be fine

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
painted my entire attic this summer, this is where I house my T's, no losses.

Water based paint though.

PIG-

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I have a REALLY good sence of smell - I most likely will be smelling at least faintly paint for weeks.

Warpig: I dunno - it's "bear" paint (I know it's not spelled like that - I just can't recall the exact spelling right now) from home depot.

other then that I don't know what "base" it is.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most paints nowadays are waterbased paints. If it is the bear paint from the depot, it is water based and it probably will have a faint smell while you're painting, but it should be dried enough in 8-24 hours that it won't have an affect on you or them. Once you feel comfortable enough to go in, then I would believe your T's should be fine as well.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you don't have screens yet, you could thumbtack up some loose screening or some mosquito netting as a temporary measure.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I used a VOC free paint from Home Depot (Freshaire Choice). They don't have much of a color selection, but I did it for myself as much or more than for the pets.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We had painted the room the tarantula was going to be in, once the smell was faint we put her in there and she showed no problems. Currently making her webbing right now actually! :D

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replys :)

One thing I forgot to ask (don't know if I need a new thread for this)

Is the "T" room is also the "no cats allowed, place to rest and read, plant room"

IE I'll be putting some plants in there too. NOT in the T cages but in the room. Wanted to make sure basic stuff like shamrocks, spider plants, african violets and the basic store plants that someone may give me as a gift - arn't going to effect my T's.

I would think most plants wouldn't.
- Shaorn

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a painting business so I can tell you that most Behr brand paints sold at home depot is latex (water base) which is not harmful (even though it will have a slight oder). If it was an oil base or alcohol base then I would tell you to hold off for at least a few days. These types (oil/alcohol based) are used in extreme conditions (covering stains, watermarks, oil etc...) and usually come in the form of a primer, not a paint. With that said, feel free to make your T room pretty!!

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can chime in on the plants, outside of the enclosure no plant is a concern period. unless it has some extreme environmental needs. even in the enclosure most plants won't be of concern. so, get all the plants you want...I recommend orchids, much easier to care for than most seem to think. actually most are harder to kill than a spider plant.

the only concern you would have with big box store plants (home depot, lowes and the like) would be the use of pesticides, repotting and a good long rinse will take care of this absolutely minor concern.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would agree that if you keep the plants free of pesticides, and other harmful things like flies, or other such bugs, you should be fine. Have fun setting up your room.

We have a large closet set up for our T's. I like having them seperate from other things, especially since we have a 6 month old, who will be crawling soon! :wall: