Painfully slow-medium growth species?

cold blood

Staff member
If I recall correctly, their growth accelerate somewhat when they get a bit bigger, right? I bought a confirmed female, she is about 2 inches now. Should I also expect long fasting periods?
That was my experience. Once they had about 2 inches and started getting their colors they became very good eaters and growth actually picked up.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Sweet! I was not looking forward to extended periods of fasting. I can't wait for her to get bigger. She is already sporting these nice colours. This is what she looks like now: b. albo.jpg

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Aphonopelma hentzi - my sling was 1/8 inch when I got in early 2018, now after almost two years........it's 1/2 inch :meh:

Meanwhile, my 2 Brachypelma albiceps slings which were about 1/4 inch when I got them a couple of months after my hentzi are at the 2 inch mark - not really that slow growing, and are good eaters too.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My worst have definitely been my G. pulchra trio I got back in 2016. One held out on molting for me for two whole years, despite regular feeding and warm temps.

Otherwise they're basically molting on a near yearly schedule, with the biggest one still looking to be under 2"....

Starting to get the feeling I'm doing something wrong. :shifty:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My worst have definitely been my G. pulchra trio I got back in 2016. One held out on molting for me for two whole years, despite regular feeding and warm temps.

Otherwise they're basically molting on a near yearly schedule, with the biggest one still looking to be under 2"....

Starting to get the feeling I'm doing something wrong. :shifty:
Not to make you feel worse but my female pulchra, who's in the 4-5 inch range, molted twice this year.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Not to make you feel worse but my female pulchra, who's in the 4-5 inch range, molted twice this year.
You're breaking my heart, here... :bigtears:

I can't even say that they're just growing slow because they're female - maybe I'm just paranoid, but they all look male. :grumpy:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another vote for the P.muticus and H.chilensis and E.campestratus.
Another slow grower is E.pachypus.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Any species that grow really slow or somewhat slow? I was thinking of any Aphonopelma sp but that’s all I can think of for now.
Horned baboon, g pulchripes and Grammy genus, all brachy except curly & b vagans .
King baboon slowish .
Not sure if ill even buy any slings til I move out. No sense if I cannot keep temperature controlled environment , adult Ts can handle 65 degrees occasional it’s cold in basement it’s usually 69-70 degrees in my parents house .
Can’t you make a microclimate with heat tale or something? Anyone’ done This before ? Could still get slings when I get a job .
I’ll do more research and try and get care down perfect or better I may for some old world burrowers too as I have 0.

That was my experience. Once they had about 2 inches and started getting their colors they became very good eaters and growth actually picked up.
Yeah some slow growing species have specimens that have big appetite so they grow faster . Always exceptions

Last edited by a moderator:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Would a T. Albopilosuk be slow growing?
My T albopilosum went from a 1/2" sling to showing adult colors since the end of May. It's last molt was about 1.25" so I am guessing it is around an 1.5" now. Not sure if that growth rate is consistant into adulthood. But the t has tripled in size in 6 months. No curly hairs yet. So I would say at least as slings, they grow fairly fast. Definitely not slow like an average Grammastola or Brachypelma.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
The slowest growing I have experienced would be my Brachypelma auratum, hands down.

I got it 15 months ago at 1/4 inch. It is now 3/4 inch and has only molted 3 times (the third being very recently). At 1/2 inch it had a 228 day molt cycle and didn't eat for 200 days.

My pulchra sling feels fast growing in comparison, having molted 3 times in 10 months.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Honduran, not so much but my Nicaraguan form is trying to give my B. albiceps a run for its money in seeing who can grow the slowest out of my Brachys/former Brachys
I'll second that. My honduran was the one I mentioned in my previous post but I got my 1/4" Nicaraguan about 2 months ago and it hasn't even molted yet. The Honduran would have doubled in size by now.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Selenotypus grow at a whopping 0.0000001 millimetres per molt
oh forgot to tell you Artemis molted and barely put on 1 mm but has begun webbing up a corner of her enclosure and built a little burrow.

she is in a new enclosure after a successful escape followed by a successful search and rescue operation.
i also dried out her substrate a little more which is potentially why she is digging now.
jj's has pq113's on pre-order for $24 which seems reasonable and paired with my $14 off code a really great price so i ordered one.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Horned baboon, g pulchripes and Grammy genus, all brachy except curly & b vagans .
King baboon slowish .
Not sure if ill even buy any slings til I move out. No sense if I cannot keep temperature controlled environment , adult Ts can handle 65 degrees occasional it’s cold in basement it’s usually 69-70 degrees in my parents house .
Can’t you make a microclimate with heat tale or something? Anyone’ done This before ? Could still get slings when I get a job .
I’ll do more research and try and get care down perfect or better I may for some old world burrowers too as I have 0.

Yeah some slow growing species have specimens that have big appetite so they grow faster . Always exceptions
Horned baboon slow growing??
My Ceratogyrus sanderi has gone from 1 cm DLS to 5 cm DLS in just a year. Not slow growing by any means.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'll second that. My honduran was the one I mentioned in my previous post but I got my 1/4" Nicaraguan about 2 months ago and it hasn't even molted yet. The Honduran would have doubled in size by now.
My Nicaraguan took 2 years to reach 2".

Took my Honduran female 2 years to go from 2" to 4.25"

Thekla

Arachnoprince
@Brachyfan @The Grym Reaper Seriously? :wideyed:

My Nicaraguan female grew from a 2nd instar sling (~ 1/3") to a 3-3 1/4" juvie in a year. I got her in July 2018 and in July 2019 she already moulted for the 7th time with me. And right now, she's in premoult again. :smug:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Gotta say, it's really interesting to see the differences in growth rates for these slower growers among different keepers who I'm assuming are for the most part keeping them under similar conditions.

:bookworm: