pacman?

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i got a pacman frog and was wondering about some things:

first of it is about 1 in or so is it better to have it in a 2.5 or ten gallon?

also do i need uv lights

finally how often do i feed him

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if it is about 1" you want it in a container like the smallest KK you can get for now. these frogs only need about 6 times the space they occupy while resting.. so small container is better! use damp coco fibre for bedding and have a dish of water for it to sit in. the little fake rock dishes from the pet store will do fine. you want to feed it some smaller sized crickets. one a couple times a week should be okay for now. remember to dust with calcium and vitamin supplements as necessary. earthworms are also a good food source for these wonderful frogs.. what kind of horned from did you get? Cranwell's ? Ornate? if you have any more questions feel free to ask. :D

Christopher

Last edited:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I dont know I was warned against it.. Horned frogs dont have mealworms in their natural diet anyways and have a hard time getting them down.. a Pyxie on the other hand can eat them with ease, as would a lizard or anything else that eats them naturally. I am no expert on the internal workings of frogs. I just know what I have read in care guides and so forth. thanks for clearing that up though ;)

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im not sure on species(sold as just pacman) i did some research on them and think it may be a cranwells also is bed a beast ok for it?

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An adult should be housed in a 10 gallon. When it is small you can keep it in whatever you like. Growing frogs should be fed almost every single day, and almost as much as they want to eat. After the frog gets bigger then slow down the feedings to every few days, and eventually, full grown horned frogs only need to be fed once every 2 weeks! Be sure to dust with calcium while your frog is growing! That is probably more important than actually feeding it.

Mealworms are not a great choice because they contain so much chitin. Chitin is indigestible! This can lead to impaction and ultimately death. If you want to feed mealworms then it is best to feed ones that have just molted as they are much softer. As soon as a mealworm gets swallowed it is instantly being digested by the frogs stomach acids, which can dissolve bone! So basically the mealworm is dead within seconds. How can a dead mealworm eat its way out of the frogs stomach. Easy - it can't!

Crickets and if you can get them roaches should make up the staple of the diet. Fish and mice are much too fatty and can lead to obesity problems such as corneal lipidosis. Perhaps a mouse every month or every few months is ok after the frog has grown to a larger size.

Last edited:

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
he/she has settle well into the 2.5 kk im glad i got the bed-a-beast instead of gravel it has dug it self in for the night.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are they tameable to a degree?(ie if i handle it while young with not attack me when i need to move it?)

HerpCenter

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am not trying to sound anal or anything, but why did you buy this frog when you didn't even know how to care for it or what species it was?

The questions you have asked are basic husbandry questions and things you should have known before you made the purchase.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
source for this?
I don't have any online links for this. I do have several publications and articles and veterinary text books for amphibians confirming this. Not too mention my personal experiences of losing frogs to corneal lipidosis because I was too damn stubborn to believe other people that were constantly telling me not to feed my horned frogs mice(like too many people still are these days!!!!!)

It doesn't take a genius to know that mice, especially pinky mice with bellies full of milk are high in fat content. And I shouldn't even need to mention how stupidly high in cholesterol goldfish are! And as a side note, feeder goldfish are farmed outside and are extremely infested with all sorts of parasites, from tapeworms (Phylum Cestoda), to roundworms (Phylum Nematoda), and everything in between. So even if goldfish were not so high in cholesterol, I wouldn't even consider feeding them.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahaha no.

I've read that on lots of caresheets, too. Besides obesity being unhealthy, the fat deposites near their eyes get too huge and it blinds them.
That is exactly right. It is called corneal lipidosis. I should mention that overfeeding with crickets can lead to this condition too, but compared to feeding mice you would have to feed a WHOLE BUNCH of crickets. Most people don't realize that adult horned frogs only need to be fed once every 2 weeks!

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,

I am not trying to sound anal or anything, but why did you buy this frog when you didn't even know how to care for it or what species it was?

The questions you have asked are basic husbandry questions and things you should have known before you made the purchase.
^ So true, You should read as many caresheets as possilbe before you buy an animal....:embarrassed: :wall: :embarrassed:

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mice arent poison. they're just more nutrient dense than invertebrates. if mice are the staple in the frogs diet, then the frog doesn't need to be fed as often as if crickets were the staple. that's where most hobbyists go wrong, feeding mice as frequently as they used to feed crickets.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't believe anyone said that mice were poison, because obviously they aren't. They are just 1) much higher in fat compared to invertebrates, and 2) much larger in size. And you are mostly right, it is the owners fault for overfeeding mice to cause obesity. It is too easy to overfeed with mice compared to overfeeding with crickets. I feed some of my horned frogs a pinky mouse every 2 months, and I have some that are going on 10 years that have never eaten a mouse their whole life. I used to feed mice until I realized what it was doing to them - it took over 5 years to see the outcome.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i realize that no one said the words "mice are poison." jeez. i was making a comment on how people treat mice like poison, saying "only 1 a month" or "good god, be careful you don't feed them more than 1 mouse a decade!" (once again, an exaggeration, making light of people's fear of the negative effects of a rodent diet)

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats not true. I am all for a rodent diet. I have 40+ snakes on any given day and they are all fed rodents. BUT when it comes to amphibians, rodents are truley a problem! Sure a horned frog will voraciously feed on mice and eat 10 a day, every day, for a month straight if you supplied them, but that doesn't mean it is healthy. I full well know that it would be much simpler feeding my horned frogs mice as opposed to invertebrates, that would cut down half the time I have to spend with them every week. But take it from someone who has kept horned frogs and tons of amphibians in general for more than 10 years that mice are not the best option. It took me about 4-5 years, and several losses to realize that!

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sure a horned frog will voraciously feed on mice and eat 10 a day, every day, for a month straight if you supplied them, but that doesn't mean it is healthy.

Have you read any of my posts in this thread?

nickbachman said:
if mice are the staple in the frogs diet, then the frog doesn't need to be fed as often as if crickets were the staple. that's where most hobbyists go wrong, feeding mice as frequently as they used to feed crickets.