Pacman or Pyxie frog?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What should I get Pacman or Pyxie frog? All info wanted! Do both make noises at night? Which gets bigger? Most agressive? Thanks

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem. We're all friendly folk at fatfrogs. I've had both, and the truth is, I got bored with my C. Cranwelli, in comparisson to my Pyxie. I have a few videos of my frog on Youtube, feel free to take a gander.

So, what got you interested in these frogs? Both are lovely species, but I'm just being truthful when I say that Pyxies are just more badass.

Last edited:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, Sauermilch is my youtube name. Only male frogs vocalize. A male pyxie will begin to croak usually when it's sub-adult from around 5 inches and up. It's pretty sporadic, so you shouldnt have sleeping problems with it. Its more of an occasional deep bellow. By the way, unlike pacman frogs, and most frog species in general, with Pyxies, males are bigger than females...much bigger.

jimmyx36

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been interested in them as well. How long will it take for it to grow until its pretty much full size?

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all about pixies! those kind of spotted pixies that they sell in pet shops. i s that the same as the monstrous african bullfrogs? or are they a different specie?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all about pixies! those kind of spotted pixies that they sell in pet shops. i s that the same as the monstrous african bullfrogs? or are they a different specie?
I wondered the same thing. I've seen the spotted one which almost look like a pacman frog and i've seen some that have no spots at all. Anyways I saw a huge pacman the other day in a local petshop. It had to be 7-8" around, but it laid so flat that it looked like a pancake. Do all pacmans look like that? Pyxies seem to not lay so low, or am I wrong?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

not sure how the dwarf species look like when young but the giant variety will have a stripe down the back.

I wondered the same thing. I've seen the spotted one which almost look like a pacman frog and i've seen some that have no spots at all. Anyways I saw a huge pacman the other day in a local petshop. It had to be 7-8" around, but it laid so flat that it looked like a pancake. Do all pacmans look like that? Pyxies seem to not lay so low, or am I wrong?

with pacmans when fully grown they're usually as wide as long also if it's that big it has to be a female

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my Ceratophrys cranwelli...

I personally like the Horned frogs more, but then again i have never had a pyxie.

-Eric

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a pacman today. It is very small, maybe 1.5-2" around. I was hoping to get a male but couldnt see the coloration on the throat. Was the one I got to young to determine sex?

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It takes about a year under normal conditions, probobly a little longer.

-Eric

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have kept both and Pacmans are boring compared to Pyxies{D I also like the look of Pyxies more.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have kept both and Pacmans are boring compared to Pyxies{D I also like the look of Pyxies more.
So i've heard, I wanted a pyxie, but couldnt find one to buy around me. Are Pyxies a lot more active compared to Pacman frogs?