Packing up your big 'pedes!

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yo guys, i was just really dying to know how you pack up your 'pedes when theyare to be sold?
I have a 7-8inch scolo subs 'tiger-leg' and tbh, i dnt wanna go near it, or try to usher it towards the pot for him...he just wount go into it, too bloomin quick, lol
What other methods would you reccomend?
I was thinking the bag technique, bbut they qould get through that no probs wouldnt they? maby an improvised method or something?
Im clueless...also very scared! jk.
I am nervous about it, but will approach it confidently, looking for ideas atm
all are welcome{D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i move them into a tube from the cricket keeper cages and then set up a shipping container with very little room inside. i insert the end of the centipede tube into the container and then remove the cap from the tube and push them down into the container with my largest paint brush. pull the tube out and seal the centipede in the shipping container and you are set.

the only real problems i have with that is that the centipede manages to rush out the place where the tube was like 3% of the time.

for most medium and small centipedes i just push them into the shipping container by hand =P

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I fill a vial with dirt, then remove all dirt from the centipede's normal enclosure and put the vial of dirt inside. It normally goes to hide it the dirt right away. Then I just put a cap on him and ship him out.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't know if pure dirt is such a good shipping medium. it seems like every time i have gotten bugs where something has gone wrong shipping it is packed in dirt. one time a container had all the dirt compact on one side which let the container sort of gather momentum and roll itself out of the tape holding it in place. the tape holding it in place got attached to the tape holding the container shut and ended up causing the container to like, lurch and open up in the shipping box.

and the only time i have had bugs show up smashed to death (tarantulas only, but still...) was when there was dirt that had some moisture in it compacted from repeatedly being bumped while in a truck or something. the tarantulas had a form fitted bubble of dirt around them that stayed after i pried the body out sometimes.

for shipping anything that does not have an established cake of dirt in the bottom of the vial i use papertowels. for larger things i might take some pieces of eggcrate and wrap them in a lot of papertowels to give the bug something to brace against. the worst thing possible is to let the bug have enough room to gather energy in while being flung about. the goal is to resrict the bugs movement potential as much as possible.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Iv tried taking the soil out..problem is, because of my enclosure designs, 2 of the waslls are also available for it..its prefering that to goin to the vials, lol
I really dont like moving 'pedes..lol fine with any T. Although unintentionally, i held my Mature male T apophysis earlier *hes LS is bigger than my shovel hands!*, he literally ran up my arm whilst i was changing the water hehe.. hes new but hes already an asset to my coll.
On the other hand, the thought of a 'pede on me is horrible. I stick those thoughts to the back of my head whilst doing it though.
I guess, i need to jsut usher it towards a box? im sure itl do its best to avoid it, buti dunno. hehe
Thanks loads for the advice though its definately helping

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
never shipped any pedes before but I've been debating getting rid of the two I have...one large one and one small one...so I was curious how it was done too (had forgotten about the tube method).

Only thing I can say C-Strike is to look around your home and get creative if you want to minimize the chance of centipede-skin contact. Also remember that a pede can not climb a smooth surface, using the right materials will allow you to "herd" it where you want it with almost no chance (never a guarantee) of it being able to climb up something and bite you. Good luck to you and watch those fangs ;)

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
i don't know if pure dirt is such a good shipping medium. it seems like every time i have gotten bugs where something has gone wrong shipping it is packed in dirt. one time a container had all the dirt compact on one side which let the container sort of gather momentum and roll itself out of the tape holding it in place. the tape holding it in place got attached to the tape holding the container shut and ended up causing the container to like, lurch and open up in the shipping box.

and the only time i have had bugs show up smashed to death (tarantulas only, but still...) was when there was dirt that had some moisture in it compacted from repeatedly being bumped while in a truck or something. the tarantulas had a form fitted bubble of dirt around them that stayed after i pried the body out sometimes.
I have never had a problem with dirt for centipedes or millipedes. Tarantulas definitely need papertowels, (I have gotten a couple in the mail packed in dirt and I definately disapprove), but I think millipedes and centipedes feel quite comfy that way. I fill the vial about 80% with loose dry (peat)dirt+centipede, and then put a moistened clump of moss on top. The moss does 2 things-provides moisture, and fills the rest of the vial so there is neither an air gap for them to be tossed around in nor dirt packed so tight they can't tunnel freely.

As for the container rolling out of place because of dirt, I think a disproportionally weighted container of anything is likely to roll. If there is enough newspaper around the container, it isn't going anywhere in the box.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
the worst thing possible is to let the bug have enough room to gather energy in while being flung about. the goal is to resrict the bugs movement potential as much as possible.
I agree. I never said a jar half-filled with dirt or some dirt and mostly air. If the centipede is completely cushioned with dirt, he has a zero chance of being flung about. He can even rest up against the side of the container and feel safe, just as it would resting against the underside of a rock. I have shipped many centipedes this way, and all of my baby millipedes this way.