Packing T's for moving?

euphierose

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am a university student getting ready to move into a new apartment next week. I have planned to bring all my T's (and other inverts) along with me, but I have never transported them anywhere before and am worried about how to do so. The drive is only about 2 1/2 hours from my current home, and I will have a friend in the car who offered to hold the enclosures in her lap if that could help with further shock absorption (bumps in the road and such). I have three slings, two of which are about 1 1/2 inches living in 8oz deli cups, and one that is 1/2 inch living in a 2oz deli cup, as well as a mature t. albopilosum who lives in an 11 x 7 x 7 enclosure. My question is, is it safe to leave the T's in their normal enclosures for the drive, or should I pack them as though I were mailing them? I apologize if this is a silly question, I have only been in the hobby for about a year and I just want my little guys to arrive safely!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I think I would pull water dishes,any hides or wood/rock work out.
Then take the enclosures,containing the T,s,put them in a cardboard box,and nestle them in tissue/newspaper.Secure them in the packing material,and head on out.
They are much tougher than we give them credit for.
They won’t break a sweat,literally 😄.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello! I am a university student getting ready to move into a new apartment next week. I have planned to bring all my T's (and other inverts) along with me, but I have never transported them anywhere before and am worried about how to do so. The drive is only about 2 1/2 hours from my current home, and I will have a friend in the car who offered to hold the enclosures in her lap if that could help with further shock absorption (bumps in the road and such). I have three slings, two of which are about 1 1/2 inches living in 8oz deli cups, and one that is 1/2 inch living in a 2oz deli cup, as well as a mature t. albopilosum who lives in an 11 x 7 x 7 enclosure. My question is, is it safe to leave the T's in their normal enclosures for the drive, or should I pack them as though I were mailing them? I apologize if this is a silly question, I have only been in the hobby for about a year and I just want my little guys to arrive safely!
Depends on the temps, does your car have AC etc

euphierose

Arachnopeon
Depends on the temps, does your car have AC etc
it is pretty hot here, anywhere from 85-95 F each day. i'll be moving up to the mountains where the summer temps and humidity are much lower, though! my car's AC is quite good and i don't think i would have any trouble keeping them comfortable during the trip as long as i get them into the new space as quickly as possible.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
When I drove my Ts to a new apartment, I removed anything heavy/loose that might shift during transit, and then placed all the enclosures in a larger storage tub and padded with some towels. Most of them just retreated into their burrows during the journey!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
For only a 2.5 hour drive you could probably be just fine removing anything that could get knocked around in the enclosures and leaving them in there. That being said I move back and fourth between IN and CT, and pack my Ts as if I was shipping. No losses or issues, but it is a 12.5 hour drive so that may be overkill for you.