Packing 9" P.Ornata

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Well title says most of it. I have a huge p.ornata Ive gotta pack up soon and I'm looking for good advise or methods to packing such a fast large and defensive tarantula. the largest I've ever packed was about 6" and I have received a bite from this girl so I am looking for safe easy way to do this any advise is gladly accepted. Thank you for taking the moment to read this and if so for replying.

Thanks
Ravin

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember an old thread about a cup method of moving T's?? May help.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Easiest way to get it into the final cup for shipping is to fashion a funnel of sorts and run the spider through it.We have done this with great success.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well the thread I am thinking about used the cup method to get the T, then used a ziplock type bag and moved the T into the baggy. Once in the bag you could manipulate the shape of the bag to the shape of the shipping container and get the T to safely move into the container. You can search cup method to see that method but I havent found the bag thread I had seen before???

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Easiest way to get it into the final cup for shipping is to fashion a funnel of sorts and run the spider through it.We have done this with great success.
I was thinking about picking her up in her hide and setting the front end into the final deli cup and then just using my paint brush to get her to go into the deli cup but my main concern with that is her turning around and charging whch she does seem to do a lot.

---------- Post added 10-09-2011 at 08:57 PM ----------

I have heard about using the bag before but this girl is huge and i thin she could destroy the freezer bag. lol

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just get your final cup lined with paper towels or however you do it,and fashion a large funnel out of newspaper and put the smaller end an inch or so into the deli,then put the hide in the funnel and prod her out like you mentioned.. Should work like a charm.We did this with our 8 inch N.tripepii who was a nightmare and it went pretty smoothly. I would not try the bag with that big girl either,that beast could go crazy and get loose.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Just get your final cup lined with paper towels or however you do it,and fashion a large funnel out of newspaper and put the smaller end an inch or so into the deli,then put the hide in the funnel and prod her out like you mentioned.. Should work like a charm.We did this with our 8 inch N.tripepii who was a nightmare and it went pretty smoothly. I would not try the bag with that big girl either,that beast could go crazy and get loose.
Rofl so agree about the bag i just see that ending horribly im going to give your funnel method a shot it seems to be worth it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the funnel method does not work... Get a bottle, cut the bottom off of it, trap the T in the bottle, set the bottom of the bottle on top of the final packing container, and take the lid off the bottle, and prod it in the packing container.

Simple, quick, and safe for both you and the T....

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
You cut the bottom off of the bottle, she doesn't go through the top of the bottle. You use a long paintbrush or whatever stuck through the top opening of the bottle to "herd" her into the deli. The open bottom of the bottle is aligned with the deli you have ready to ship her in.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The bag will work if done correctly, and there is no chance for it to get loose, or bite you at all. With that funnel, you're relying on her willingness to go into it. IME, most Ts would rather go back to familiar territory than unfamiliar, so I've found the only way the funnel works reliably is if the T is out of its enclosure anyway.

I've done this with a ~7" L. violaceopes on numerous occasions. I wouldn't think 2" more would make a difference, and they never show hostility towards the bag or think of it as somethin to bite/destroy. In fact, once they're in the bag, they find the tightest area and "hide" in there.

Either method though, I wouldn't think you'll have any trouble.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
The bag will work if done correctly, and there is no chance for it to get loose, or bite you at all. With that funnel, you're relying on her willingness to go into it. IME, most Ts would rather go back to familiar territory than unfamiliar, so I've found the only way the funnel works reliably is if the T is out of its enclosure anyway.

I've done this with a ~7" L. violaceopes on numerous occasions. I wouldn't think 2" more would make a difference, and they never show hostility towards the bag or think of it as somethin to bite/destroy. In fact, once they're in the bag, they find the tightest area and "hide" in there.

Yeah I cant see 2" making a difference either and the bag does seem like it would be just a simple shoe in. so maybe I should do that.

---------- Post added 10-09-2011 at 09:41 PM ----------

Yeah I cant see 2" making a difference either and the bag does seem like it would be just a simple shoe in. so maybe I should do that.

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First make your packaging up, then take the tube out of a roll of kitchen towel, stuff one end with paper....

Put the tube infront of the spider, coax her in, cap the top so she doesnt come flying back out, put the fang end of the tube at the entrance (if not about a cm inside the packaging) of the package, uncap the fang end of the tube, and the abdomen end of the tub, gently coax her into her packaging, get the top of the packaging place it on the deli cup (or what ever packaging your using), put lid on...

Done, and Dusted