Packaged for Shipping

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all,
I know this is a subject that has been posted before, but I am in need of some information regarding how to packa tarantula for shipping.
My 7" A. geniculata (Erik) is going to meet a female in Arizona, and I want to make sure he gets there safely.
What I was hoping for was a step by step instruction on how to package.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ralph

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm a bit of a novice in the packing area, but I successfully sent a male G. rosea to Galeogirl. I put a folded paper towel in the bottom of a deli dish, with the bottom side moistened. The edges came up along the sides of the deli dish. The T was fairly easy to manipulate into the deli dish with a paint brush and he hunkered down once in the dish. I then took a second folded paper towel, that I cut to fit in the circular deli dish, and placed it over the top of him. I put the lid on the dish (with air holes in dish), taped the lid shut, packed it in a box with crumpled paper, and sent it overnight via Airborne Express (Holley's recommendation ... thanks Holley) It wasn't anywhere nearly as difficult as I had expected, but we're also talking about a very docile T.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
the MOST important thing is that he/she is *snugly* in the deli cup. In other words, once packed, can you turn the deli cup upside down, and have him/her not move?
Remember, the package is going to be thrown around ALOT.
The more stuffing around the deli cup in the box helps too. I use styrofoam peanuts, and the air filled plastic bags. However, newspaper wadded up works just fine as well.
I just re-use what I have here, since I save all the boxes my Ts come in.
Airborne is the cheapest of the overnight services, save the USPS.
It's up to you if you want to risk postal service.
Good luck!
Holley

PS- welcome back Botar :)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I find large styrofoam coolers work well.

Fit the t in a deli cup, with holes. Tape him down into a styrofoam cooler, with holes, fill with peanuts. close. Fit cardboard box around cooler, close and fill rest with styrofoam peanuts. poke holes in box(all these holes probably arent neccesary.) Then on all 6 sides write "LIVE NONVENOMOUS ANIMAL, PROTECT FROM HEAT, PROTECT FROM COLD, PROTECT FROM SUNLIGHT" plus your name and recievers name on all sides in case they screw up their own little form. Also have them give you the tracking number, always do overnight.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, but REMEMBER...NOBODY accepts live animals except Airborne.
You can't use FedEx or UPS.
I don't even like to label my boxes as fragile, I think it's better for the company to have no clue what is in there.
Remember, the larger the box, the more expensive the shipping as well.
The styrofoam idea is great, unpacking Vayu Son's male took me like a half an hour LOL
You just don't want any jiggling around.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holley,
How does a person do this? Wet paper towels? A deli cup that only as big as the T?
Also, is Saturday a bad day to ship USPS? I'm shipping Alonso88 a T, I want to do it right.

Thanks,
Ern T

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
like Botar said, take the deli cup and line it with paper toweling, that is damp. Put the T in, then put more toweling on top of the T. Don't squish it! But make sure the T is snug. Spray the toweling on top as well, so it is nice and damp.
Now, try doing that with a mature male P cambridgei :D
It sounds MUCH easier than it is LOL
If you are shipping priority mail, you could ship on Sat. but remember, it adds an extra day, something you might not want to risk

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ship spiders all over Canada with my business.

I have had flawless results with small deli cups with a moist wad of paper towel inside.

This cushions the spider and keeps the humidity up.

As long as a box is 12 inches or under and weighs less than 5Lbs they dont charge you extra. I often use Fedex I just dont tell them whats in the box. I just say this side up and fragile and have had no probs yet.

My preferred method of shipping has been same day delivery on the train. I am not sure what Amtrack does but I know Greyhound offers courier service as well for a lot less than Fedex.

I use VIA rail in Canada whenever I can. I get guaranteed same day delivery for 16 dollars with them. Its fast and a smoothe ride for the T.

If you have any other Q's please don't hesitate to email me!

Chris

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

When shipping any live animal, it is important it arrives the next day, and the person is home to remove the danger of weather and outside temperature. Thus shipping on saturday is irresponsible, since most companys will not deliver on sunday, and thus you are submitting the animal to a risk factor that is not necessary.

-V

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I take exception to the 'overnight or you're irresponsible' mantra. It's very easy to figure out whether or not an invert is in any danger by shipping priority or not. They're not going to die unless the temps are below freezing or over around 90 sustained. They're not going to die of suffocation, and if the temps are going to fall within the safe range, the risk is only slightly more than shipping them overnight.

I go overnight if I order from a professional dealer, but that's only because it's the only way to get a guarantee. For private trades I would never waste the $15-$20 for overnighting unless absolutely necessary.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

yeah, most people dont live in florida where winter temps are 90+. Still, on almost all dealers, anything other than overnight voids your warranty, and for my personal spiders and trades, i prefer next day. I just dont trust the delivery companys not to set the package on fire on a whim.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: ><

Say, is there any way at all to ship a spider during the colder months? Meaning, is there any way to keep a package warm?

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard that using one of those new little 8 hour heat pads will do the trick when shipping in cold weather. I have yet to try it and was wondering of anyone had experience with them.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've shipped with the heat pads before. I tape them to the inside of the box, away from the deli cups. I also insulate with styrofoam during the winter..it works well

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bet ya five hundred crowns I couldn't find them here ..