package arrived today!(V. spinigerus I2 scorplings)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Damn hot weather. When I checkep up on my slings they were great last night. Was gonna feed them but it was late. Then this morning I had some errands to run and got home 2 minutes before I usually leave for work. I notice that from last night to today I lost three. I think it has something to the with the temps I measured and it reachead about 88F. It was kinda hot today plus the heat lamp. Crap hopefully the rest are all good when I get back home tonight.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man that sucks, id be surprised if a day of 88degree weather caused it..but who knows.

btw question about these guys, im planning on breeding them....at what instar are they ready for mating? And when can they be kept communially?

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They can be kept comunally right now but I wouldn't do it. They'll eat each other during molts. So just wait for the last instar. Idunno what it is i'm guessing 7-8. Hey so are you saying I kileld my slings :(. This would be day 4 without food, but they been eating about 5-8 fruitflies. Well to be honest it was probably more that 88 because I'm keepijg them warm with a heat lamp that they're sahring with my snake. And they're closer to it than the tank. The tank temp read 88.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no im not saying you killed them, i dont know what killed em. Mine are usually around 80degree, tho it falls a little lower at night

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Eddy,

Try adding some water to the mixture. I've only lost 2 since the birth and one was with a litter water, one pretty dry... but I suspect they maybe need a little.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks I think they do need alittle moisture. I lost another one today, bad molt. I think the heat triggered it to molt and it died halfway. I still have three very lively plump ones. I added a few small dead crix in for moisture. and there tems are now at a steady 85.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks I think they do need alittle moisture. I lost another one today, bad molt. I think the heat triggered it to molt and it died halfway. I still have three very lively plump ones. I added a few small dead crix in for moisture. and there tems are now at a steady 85.
A few small dead crix for moisture? Im not geting this...what do you mean? If you want moisture just mist in the cup a little, i do it like 2 times a week

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leaving anything dead inside a tank is asking for a mite invasion, which could harm the scorps

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leaving anything dead inside a tank is asking for a mite invasion, which could harm the scorps
The containers are sealed but you are correct, it also smells horrid too!

Eddy, are you sure it was molting? I've never found a full schedule for spinigerus but for V coh that would be WAY too soon. All of my V spini and coh. I4's were born in the same week apparently, and all molted in the same few days, which suggests they're growth patterns are similar.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sealed container would be prone to mold, and yes it would smell nasty.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The containers are sealed but you are correct, it also smells horrid too!

Eddy, are you sure it was molting? I've never found a full schedule for spinigerus but for V coh that would be WAY too soon. All of my V spini and coh. I4's were born in the same week apparently, and all molted in the same few days, which suggests they're growth patterns are similar.
YEah I could tell it was a definate molt. And the crix are small and they're gonna get eaten before any mold arrives. I just made sure to give them so thirst quencher before dropping them in. They add a little moisture and give the scorps some juices. I'm pretty sure it was the damn heat that made it molt so fast.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think its necessary to keep dead crickets in there so the scorp can enjoy "juices". Just mist for moisture, and feed one cricket at a time...they feed jsut fine on live crickets.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They ate were already eating them before I left the house. They stung it and everything. It's just that the crix are to big still so i cut them in half. Each scorp got half a crix.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eating great. They love the fruitflies and I actually got a little runt that was noticibly smaller than the rest. Fed her first. She got a fancy meal...miny moth instead of fruit flies. I'll try to post some pics either tonight or tommorow.
How many of them did you give food other than petstore crickets or fruitflys? Perhaps the moth caused em to die, if i had parasites or pesticides.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They really should not be trying to molt... I'm talking like 5** months early. I'm stumped.:?

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was acutally suppose to say 5. Either way they will be grown before you know it... if it was easy everyone would want them. You should have found this by now.

Originally from VL
LKR said:
Average instar duration (based on specimens reared at a near constant 27C):

Instar 1: 5 days (personal obs)
Instar 2: 151 days
Instar 3: 64 days
Instar 4: 96 days
Instar 5: 119 days
Instar 6: 422 days
Instar 7: 835 days
Instar 8: Unknown

Large and small populations exist and males mature at instar 6 or 7 and females at 7 or 8

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How many of them did you give food other than petstore crickets or fruitflys? Perhaps the moth caused em to die, if i had parasites or pesticides.
Nah that one seems to be the biggest. I don't know how to explain the premature molt. Except that my guess is the heat triggered it. The other one's don't look like they're gonna molt any time soon. I would take a picture of body but I don't have a camera that would could take such a tiny picture.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Person Obsv.

By the way for future reference. I did finally put two of the I2's together after 6 days of no food and no hides and one quickly became lunch. If I had more disposable ones I'd try after half the deprivation period but I'll have to wait until one more molt for a male to re-mate.

Haven't tried it with the I5's as I mixed up the spinigerus and coahuilae labels, so I have to wait a molt or two more. :(
-The mother is still taking good care of the one sling I left with her also, she has to be feeding it or it'd be dead by now, so vaejovis mothers seem sturdy.