Pac-Man frog bio active substrate mix

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I have been planing to upgrade my frog into a 10 gallon bio active but I had a couple questions about the substrate mix. I was wondering about making my own substrate because I have all the supplies but I can’t find ideal mixes for them. Is a modified ABG to have more coco fiber soil fine for them? Do they need a drainage layer? I’m afraid to use drainage because my frog digs and I don’t want to have to fix it. Also, does anyone know how biodude does his substrate so he doesn’t have to use a drainage layer?also, are orange isopods good for them?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve only see drainage layers with PDFs

I’ve raised a few tropical frog species- no drainage layer was needed.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
There is no reason whatsoever to use a drainage layer with a ceratophrys species. These frogs can burrow down pretty deep and they’ll just bulldoze it all over the place. As far as substrate goes there is nothing wrong with making your own. However, ABG mixes are preferred by dart frog hobbyists because they drain easily and don’t retain too much water. (Contrary to popular belief dart frogs do not like soaking wet substrate and ABG provides the right balance between moisture retention and drainage) With Ceratophrys sp. you are going to want a wetter substrate that holds more moisture and coco fiber alone actually works pretty well with these species. I use a mix of about 80 perfect coco fiber to 20 cypress mulch with some horticultural charcoal mixed in and I have no problems. If you keep the sub consistently moist springtails will do well in it. Regardless though, you will have to spot clean and change the substrate every so often anyway as no closed system (“bioactive” or not) can function without some occasional maintenance.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I have a mix of sphag and coco peat for substrate. I was wondering how bio dude does a bio active for Pac-Man frogs with no problems. Half the people online are using drainage so I was confused about that. Also, if I can spot clean enough and have better tank cleaners, could it work as a bio active. I already have the tank and plants and substrate for it.

Braden

Arachnoknight
I think you only need drainage if the sub has a larger portion of dirt/soil cuz it can get mucky and yucky. Sphag and coco is great. Bio crew are awesome, I don't know much about isopods but I love springtails, super easy to culture. I have one over a year old and it's looking great!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I already built the tank and added tropical white springtails and powder orange. I put a bromeliad, pothos, and frog moss. I am waiting to get a couple air plants to mount to some grape vine. I will be adding a picture soon. I was going to get more wood to build it but it was super expensive for a tiny piece of grape vine.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Just finished the tank. I am going to let it cycle for a bit because I want the clean up crew and the plants to survive.
1620433497677.jpeg 1620433537400.jpeg Still waiting to get an led light for the plants and will add a tiny air plant in left corner but it is done. Thank you for the advice.