P Vittatta & P Muticus

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I'm curious about why I rarely read about these two species. Are P. vittatta rare? I'd like to hear some more information on these two, if anyone can help me dig up some legit stuff or share experiences with me? That'd be amazing.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I don't think P. vitatta are rare or hard to get a hold of, but I think they are one of the least kept pokies due to several of the others being similar looking at a lot more accessible. A lot of people keep metallica, fasciata, ornata, regalis, subfusca, and rufilata. You less commonly see smithi, formosa (the best one imho), striata, vitatta, hanumavilasumica, tigrinawesseli, and miranda.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't think P. vitatta are rare or hard to get a hold of, but I think they are one of the least kept pokies due to several of the others being similar looking at a lot more accessible. A lot of people keep metallica, ornata, regalis, subfusca, and rufilata. You less commonly see smithi, formosa (the best one imho), vitatta, hanumavilasumica, and miranda.
Don't forget the tigrinawesseli.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Yeah, be prepared to receive a storm propaganda of the Goddess cult if you put P. muticus in your title :)

cold blood

Staff member
No one talks abput P. muticus? What rock do you live under? Its probably the most talked about species on these boards.

Vitatta is one of the underrated pokies...possibly because they lack the bright yelliw underarms (theirs are a creamy off white)...but a really great species none the less....im hoping my female drops a sac soon.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
No one talks abput P. muticus? What rock do you live under? Its probably the most talked about species on these boards.

Vitatta is one of the underrated pokies...possibly because they lack the bright yelliw underarms (theirs are a creamy off white)...but a really great species none the less....im hoping my female drops a sac soon.

I rarely see P. Muticus discussed and when I do it is in some foreign alternating chants to the goddess and some hymns but actually discussed, never!

P. Vittatta is one of my favorite looking poecs, as well as the rufilata. So gorgeous!

I'm considering grabbing both of these species as slings as their amazing and I really really want but being a beginner, I feel capable but ya know, the stigma.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
P. vittata is one of my favorites, had to use extreme self control not to buy two juvies yesterday. Like others said though, they just aren't as commonly kept compared to a few other Pokies.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I rarely see P. Muticus discussed and when I do it is in some foreign alternating chants to the goddess and some hymns
Rarely I've saw such heresy combined together in one statement :bookworm:

but actually discussed, never!
To even think to "discuss" the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) is blasphemy, but during the past certain heretics (that ended cursed) dared to perform such impure acts, if you use the 'search' function you will find those.

But mind, oh mortal... reading those posts depicting the Goddess* like the 'average' Theraphosidae is like walking the subtle line between spiritual, ancestral world, and the materialist one: you have been warned.

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Oh I have used said search and read a few threads on P. Muticus, only to find a book. A holy book, indecipherable.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Enclosures, lifespans, growth rate, id like to see some actual burrows and enclosure pics, breeding tips, care facts, temperment, just general facts by actual experienced keepers.

I'm very interested in these two species PV and PM.

I'd like to hear about folks actual hands on experiences with them, I just find both very interesting ever since I layed eyes on them. They're both gorgeous!

Vezon

Arachnopeon
Luckily the pokies are all pretty similar in care requirements. While I don't personally have a P. vittata, they keep exactly like the other pokies in my collection. As spiderlings 1.5-3" , I keep them in 32 oz deli containers with 3-4" of dirt and a cork tube or a half cork tube with a little bit of sphagnum moss. When they get over that 3" mark, I move them into a plastic half gallon food storage container (clear plastic with a screw off lid) with cork, dirt, moss, and maybe some decorative fake plants, where I keep them until they are about 6". After that point, I move mine into a 10 gallon aquarium standing right side up with a ventilated front door. I keep my adults in the aquariums as 'display pieces' since they are big and beautiful, but I'm sure there are plenty of other smaller and more economical enclosures to use.

Obviously, keep a full water dish in with any sized pokie.

Another thing to consider is that these things gain massive amounts of size with each molt, so they can outgrow an enclosure very quickly.

OT:
lol...op, what "real" info are you looking for with regards to muticus?

This exactly.

Instead of informative or potentially insightful posts, we have 7 (now 8 after my reply) posts about some meme which is not very helpful for the OP (which seemingly frustrates to them based on their responses), and does not really add anything to the discussion. A joke here and there is fine, but the OP literally said that he couldn't really find anything on the species because every time he uses the search function, he just comes up with meme-y posts about P. muticus.

This thread was a perfect opportunity for an experienced P. muticus keeper like Chis to add say something that addresses the initial questioned posed or at least copy and paste a genetic response that he might have saved on his computer about the species. However, we just got a post talking about heresy.

I don't see anything wrong with having inside jokes, having fun, or messing around every now and again, but I have met people in real life who absolutely *hate* this website because they don't believe that there is any real or useful discussion that happens here. (probably because of threads like this one)