P. vittata Decoration Drama

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last February I recieved a very large female Poecilotheria vittata and enclosures through a local sale. Today I'm finally attempting to rehouse her but she's got this ridiculous decoration in her enclosure that she lives in. I AM SO FRUSTRATED! I've spent the last hour trying to get her out. She sprinted out once and I was too dumb to think about closing up the other side before she ran back into it. Lesson learned. I'm taking a break right now to come up with a better option. Omg.

Here's what I'm working with:

I've pulled the decoration out of the enclosure and have been trying to gently prod her out the other side, but it's got a bunch of nooks and crannies and I can't see her and she keeps smacking my tongs and not budging. I'm doing my best to not hurt her.

If you've got any good ideas, please let me hear em.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Spray/Pour water in one entrance and move a little around while catchcup at other end.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spray/Pour water in one entrance and move a little around while catchcup at other end.
That does sound like a good idea. Hopefully with how wonky the section she's in, could work. Going to hopefully collect a few more ideas before I go back in and just trial and error it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id probably just spray water into it with a spray bottle, she'll come out eventually. probably running, so stand back. maybe do this in the bath tub.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd put something like a dark non see thru bag over one of the openings and work from the other side. Ts are more likely to retreat out of a hide if they feel they have cover. If she goes into the bag carefully remove it and take it to the new enclosure. take care not to get bitten through the bag or when she comes out.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just tried spraying her and then flooding her. Neither worked. She just sat under the water for quite some time. If I attempted to prod her shed bite the tongs again.

I'd put something like a dark non see thru bag over one of the openings and work from the other side. Ts are more likely to retreat out of a hide if they feel they have cover. If she goes into the bag carefully remove it and take it to the new enclosure. take care not to get bitten through the bag or when she comes out.
I don't think I can easily get a bag around the hide. I may attempt that later tonight if I can find a dark bag. Would the bag method even work well for a spider this large? I've never attempted it passed something 4". But if she's not budging regardless, then idk if I'll work.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Omg. Someone just suggested hair dryer. That may actually work. On a cool, low setting, obviously. I'll update once I feel like dealing with her again.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just tried spraying her and then flooding her. Neither worked. She just sat under the water for quite some time. If I attempted to prod her shed bite the tongs again. I don't think I can easily get a bag around the hide. I may attempt that later tonight if I can find a dark bag. Would the bag method even work well for a spider this large? I've never attempted it passed something 4". But if she's not budging regardless, then idk if I'll work.
I was thinking more like a bag and a jug or something. The bag is more to make sure she can't come out around the side. Attach it to a container like a dark gallon jug. Then chase her into the dark jug.

Full disclosure: I've never tried the bag method. I just feel like it's more likely to come out into a dark area than move from it's safe hide into the light.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I just tried spraying her and then flooding her. Neither worked. She just sat under the water for quite some time. If I attempted to prod her shed bite the tongs again.

I don't think I can easily get a bag around the hide. I may attempt that later tonight if I can find a dark bag. Would the bag method even work well for a spider this large? I've never attempted it passed something 4". But if she's not budging regardless, then idk if I'll work.
since shes still not moving, id get a long thing to prod her with, something she wont hurt her fangs on, and just poke her behind till she comes out.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Gentle prodding with something long is how i always do it. Never had issue. Just be patient

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've pulled the decoration out of the enclosure and have been trying to gently prod her out the other side, but it's got a bunch of nooks and crannies and I can't see her and she keeps smacking my tongs and not budging. I'm doing my best to not hurt her.

If you've got any good ideas, please let me hear em.
When using those fake hollow resin décor items, its often best to fill said "nooks and crannies" with Great Stuff spray foam or something similar before placing them inside the enclosure.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When using those fake hollow resin décor items, its often best to fill said "nooks and crannies" with Great Stuff spray foam or something similar before placing them inside the enclosure.
I didn't put her in there. I would never put something like that in an enclosure. It's just what she came in, as she was a local pickup.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll probably go back at it tonight. Been kind of busy.

Gentle prodding with something long is how i always do it. Never had issue. Just be patient
That's been most of what I've been trying, it's just a frustrating situation due to the shape and turns and such inside the decoration.

You need to make a video about this. I am on the edge of my seat.
If I can figure out a good way to film it, I will. Lol

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Get a device that vibrates constantly like a electric razor. Hold the device on outside of the furnish to annoy it out?

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a device that vibrates constantly like a electric razor. Hold the device on outside of the furnish to annoy it out?
Lmao maybe. I think if when I go back in an gently prodding doesn't work for a while again, I'm going to pull out a hair dryer and gentle, cool breeze her out.