P. villosus PML visibility at instar 2?

Rdeuvletian

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I have 3 P. villosus “typical” scorplings at their 2nd instar now.

I have tried to check their pectines for PML using the jeweler’s loop I use to sex my tarantula slings and cannot see any PML like on my 4th instar black morph female.

Is this something that would develop over their next couple molts or am I just unlucky and ended up with 3 males?

Thanks!

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Checking at a second instar might be too early, since the scorps would be tiny. Even with a jeweler's loupe, it's hard to discern. My mum keeps scorps and tends to sex them the best when they are about 1-1.5 inches for accuracy. Any earlier and she's either squinting herself into blindness or has sexed males or females that ended up being the opposite. Pectine teeth can also be tough to judge from, so we also like to look at the angles formed by pectine 'wings'. At 1 to 1.5 inches, the gap between them should be easy to spot and not mistake. Males have 'wings' that are so close, they almost touch, while females have a notable space in between. The males will also have their wings at a very acute angle together while females hold them slightly father apart.
I hope this helps!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi everyone,

I have 3 P. villosus “typical” scorplings at their 2nd instar now.

I have tried to check their pectines for PML using the jeweler’s loop I use to sex my tarantula slings and cannot see any PML like on my 4th instar black morph female.

Is this something that would develop over their next couple molts or am I just unlucky and ended up with 3 males?

Thanks!
Pectine count is never accurate as there is nearly always an overlap on several species.

eg.
Male - 32/35
Female - 30/33.