p transvaalicus

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,
I got a female transvaalicus a little while ago for breeding and recently got an adult male. I have read a bunch of articles on breeding and im really excited to get started. But I think my female is only 6th instar, though im not sure as I bought her as an adult. She is quite fat as usual and has not been nearly aggressive about feeding like the specimens I have kept in the past. I suppose it is possbile that she will molt soon but im not sure. SO. Two questions for the boards:
is there any way to tell if my female is mature/ what instar she's at?
is it safe to attempt mating soon at all? (Kinda figure it would be best to wait but just thought I would ask)
thanks for you guys time

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you post a pic and tell us the exact size, measured from the tip of the aculeus to the edge of the carapace? Like you said yourself instar 6 is not adult, and you are probably right....

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey michiel,
thanks for the suggestion. I am worried that this may be hazardous as I don't wanna get sprayed. I don't have the proper restraints or goggles. I think I will just wait for a moult, my male is nice and plump. Thanks Marshall

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey michiel,
thanks for the suggestion. I am worried that this may be hazardous as I don't wanna get sprayed. I don't have the proper restraints or goggles. I think I will just wait for a moult, my male is nice and plump. Thanks Marshall
Hi Marshall,

That is an option, but be prepared for a long wait. It can take very long for them to molt to the next instar, especially at that age. I can try to estimate it's age if you post a picture....

Regards, Michiel

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no problem I will post in the next few days. any way to restrain the scorp with out getting sprayed?

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have owned transvaalicus for years,and have bred then also,although i know they have the spraying ability,i have never been sprayed.(and i have had to manipulate many through the years)
i think a photo from the top showing the animal in question,even next to a quarter would suffice to tell if adult.
good luck breeding they are a very rewarding scorp for sure.
andy

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

that being said,still be very careful,not a scorp to mess with...lol
andy

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To me they are one of the coolest, none I don't like though, just some more than others. lol even emps are still one of my favs. I had a brood of P. trans and raised at least 60 of those to adult, very easy to do in delis(http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/galapoheros/DSCN9417.jpg). The spray is really not that bad, I've gotten it in my eyes and in my sinuses, it only makes me sneeze, kind of like pepper juice. I only got it in my eyes because I didn't know it was on my fingers, a simple rinsing of the eyes works fine, it's like a mild pepper juice in the eyes, to me anyway. Just don't get it in your blood stream. I've had that happen too but not a big dose of it. The deal with these is that they can deliver "a lot" of venom. Beware of animals that use their offense as defense. A stink bug has a defense mech for that purpose only but an offense used as a defense can be much more detrimental. ime, moltings can take a long time or a short time. I had one CB male that matured in 9 months but at the time I kept the trans way to warm, heat will speed things up. Right now I have 9 I kept that seem to be semi-dormant in a room that is kept in the upper 60's. It makes me wonder if they shut down in S Africa for a few months with season changes there(?) To keep the metabolism going at full speed, you could always have a warm place for them to go, not warming the whole cage but some radiant source like a stick-on heater, you will see them bask next to it. I have used the stick on heaters for desert type stuff but with an open top so that the radiant heat is there, rather than them sitting there in the heated air that fills the whole cage with no choice. I have always offered water, misting or a cap of water.