P. transvaalicus Qs

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll be getting a couple of 3-4is in early this week and am wondering about some things. I used to have a P. trans around the same age (it was about an inch). It ate like a champ for a while, but then suddenly died. I kept it in a dry, very well-ventilated enclosure with the temps at 80-85 degrees. I think the cause was dehydration because I provided it no open water source. I am going to provide one this time.

My room, in this season, tends to stay in the mid to high 70s. Would this be a good temp range for young P. trans or is higher preferred? Is it also wise to provide a temp drop at night? Since my last P. trans died I want to make sure to do everything right this time with the new ones.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
mine has molted about once a month for the past 5 months and eats great. i keep mine around 75-ish and make sure it gets water every week via crickets or misting. a slight temp drop at night would probably be good. but your room temp, with it's fluctuations is more than likely perfect. you don't need to add any heat or do anything crazy.

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The best is to keep them at ca. 30-32°C. And spray one corner moist every week.
You kept them too dry. When they are at this instars they always need a bit water and a higher humidity. Adults are a lot more resistant and can be kept quite dry.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had one that had babies. I keep the babies in a room that's not air-conditioned. In the summer, it gets 90F+ in there. At night maybe around 75. I think they are about 1.5 years old now, kind of growing slow. But it was kind of cool here in the winter. Before that I had a male that matured in 9 months. The CB adult females took about 1.5 years to mature. I kept them a lot warmer than these babies, I prob kept those others way too hot, they grew real fast.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The best is to keep them at ca. 30-32°C. And spray one corner moist every week.
You kept them too dry. When they are at this instars they always need a bit water and a higher humidity. Adults are a lot more resistant and can be kept quite dry.
I almost have the same set-up, except I fill the waterdish once a week. I also provided a claypot hide. I raised the female from 2I to adult in 2 years. I was able to breed them as well. I observed that they prefer a cool semi moist hide from time to time. I got the idea from the habitat pictures posted here.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=108858

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=113838

Last edited: