P. Trans care problems

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so i recieved 2 P. trans scorplings in the mail, the one was 3I and the other 2I. The 3I died while in a molt. The second one just died for no apparent reason. Is this common for P. trans? Are they hard to bring up from early instars? I kept the enclosure at 80 F, kept them dry on sand, whats the problem here? Are the adults easier to care for? Ive had not so good luck with 2I V. spinigeris (spelling?) also. Out of 4 2I scorps im down to 1, and also lost a 2I C. exilicauda. All were kept at the same temperatures and such. Am i just having bad luck? And the last V. spinigeris i have left is doing great at the conditions, its fully alive and eating and getting ready to molt again to 4I. Also, all my adult scorpions are also doing more than good. So whats the deal?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had some trouble too at first. Even though I was told they needed to be kept dry, I didn't keep them dry enough. I just wasn't used to idea because most of the other things I've had in the past needed more moisture. So I lost a couple that way. Then, when I needed to move two of the little things to other containers, I'd just herd them to the palm of my hand. After only a minute of so from doing that, one just stopped moving. One of those times I had been using bleach to clean something. I rinsed and dried my hands. After it died, I noticed that I could still smell bleach on my hand. That stuff really gets absorbed in the surface of your skin. If you can smell it, it's still there. So I think one died of the fumes coming off my hand but I don't know for sure. I don't know why the other died, but I had just moved it also. I have two females and one male left and they look to be past the "baby" danger zone. So I had some problems too. Hopefully, I might get some babies from one of these sometime later. I don't know if that helps you out any. I've always been careful of chemicals around these things but now I'm really careful of any chemicals and I try not to disturb them much around molting time.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one I received in a trade, it has not eaten once in my care and I've had it for over 2months. It is only 2nd instar. It will grab roach nymphs and small crickets and kill them but the most it will do is eat a leg or two. It cannot get enough water though. I'm hoping it is just premolt, but this little guy is so thin I cannot conceive the thought of it actually molting.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correction, I no longer have any living P. transvaalicus. Mine died in a most curious fashion. I found it dead gripping a very dead pinhead. Looked like he just up and died overnight while trying to get a feed. But, at least now I have another addition to my more permanent collection or dried scorps.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I usually bought adults but did raise a juvenile and had no difficulty with a dry set-up with hideaway and sand. And it was molting regularly however I failed to raise the scorpion to adulthood as about this time I had left the hobby and sold the bugger off online.

Parabuthus from my understanding I gained are psammophiles.

Never placed water in the enclosure though, I was too frightened I would lose it. (Unlike Hottentotta and Leiurus, which I freely gave water.)

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never had a problem raising P.transvaalicus. They eat whatever you throw in their enclosure. My only problem with this species is dehydration right after molt if you have the temps between 30-32C degrees. Any temps lower than 28C degrees is just perfect. I also know somebody who kept this species at room temps and never had a problem with it except that his is still at 3rd - 4th instar and mine is already at 5th - 6th instar.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have noticed that species such as this that have a large number of babies with each brood will have a high mortality rate. Perhaps this is why they have large broods?
One thing I try to do is drop about 3 small drops of water in the condiment cup about the time I expect them to molt. Dont over do it though. The moisture needs to be able to dry out in about 24-36 hours.
If you can get them to 4th instar it gets much much easier. They will normally grow to adulthood then. Anyway thats my experience with P trans and other species that have a large number of offspring.
Interestingly enough, I seldom ever have a death from any Tityus spp which of course have fewer young in a brood.

Last edited:

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hei brian jius a note. you realise theres more female probability then male in P. trans brood?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was not aware of that but it may be pretty clear as soon as some of mine mature.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cos i have checked with some of the guys ive sold some pf my p trans. so far 8 of them had matures and so far. theres 6 femles and only 2 male :(

and i happen to only know one of them is female ta the moment. so its 7th instar they reach adult hood? wats the average speciemnt size?