P. subfusca Sexing: Female or Male?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Specimen is 1.5 inches DLS. I'm really really leaning towards female, but I'd like some second opinions. I tried uploading in the sexing gallery, but didn't get any comments. Probably should've waited a little longer to see if anyone comments, but I got super impatient lol :sorry:.
IMG_5962.jpg IMG_5969.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
First pic looks male... Second looks female. Not very good at ventral sexing though so I have no idea lol, but if I were held at gunpoint, I'd say female.

cold blood

Staff member
Tricky, first looks male, second looks female...give it another molt. Males get a dot above the slit, just angle light front to back and back to front and it will show.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I used the flash plus another light on both pics, but there was a lot of reflections on the first pic. I'm hoping the next molt is good enough to actually sex. Thanks!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am glad I am not the only one who went, "Yup, male. *scrolls to next photo* Oh.. wait... maaaybe not?" LOL

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I am glad I am not the only one who went, "Yup, male. *scrolls to next photo* Oh.. wait... maaaybe not?" LOL
Ya, I think the flash did a number on the first pic. There's no dot or raised area as of right now. Really hoping it ends up female.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I think both pics look female.

Your specimen being at the size that it is, I looked at the space between the top lungs on the epi plate. The space seems same size as sternum. Usually the plate on male Poecs is smaller and the top booklungs very triangular (straight lines) and yours have slight curve on inner sides. I dont see any spots forming either. I would say female from the photos but as others have stated a moult will give you that 100%

cold blood

Staff member
I used the flash plus another light on both pics, but there was a lot of reflections on the first pic. I'm hoping the next molt is good enough to actually sex. Thanks!
Try using the flash without additional lighting. Since I started doing this, all my pics have improved.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Try using the flash without additional lighting. Since I started doing this, all my pics have improved.
That's the way I usually try to take pics, but I really prefer to not even use the flash. I had to use a modded kit lens turned into a macro lens for those pics which makes the depth of field super tiny. In return I have to jack the aperture up high which doesn't allow for much light in. So I ended up having to use the flash plus another light, and that barely got the job done lol.

Thanks for the glass bowl idea, makes alot more sense than dealing with cloudy, web covered plastic. For whatever reason I never thought to do that..:banghead:

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
While I'm on the topic. If anyone here uses ef/efs mount canon lenses, and would like to be able to take macro pics. Try finding a used canon 35-80mm kit lens (cost next to nothing), there's a few tutorials on how to mod it floating around. Basically you end up with a lens that's over true 1:1 magnification. Works great if you have tons of light and a super steady hand.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My money is on female but given my small amount of ventral sexing experience I could be wrong.