P. striata Pairing Log

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Now you know. At least you got him out in one piece. I've sent out a number of males on breeding loans, and most were killed during 2nd and 3rd pairings. I've raised these males up & have an investment in them. Some people want to see if how much sperm a female can hold before she explodes. In future, I'll be requesting one pairing only and the return of the live male.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Now you know. At least you got him out in one piece. I've sent out a number of males on breeding loans, and most were killed during 2nd and 3rd pairings. I've raised these males up & have an investment in them. Some people want to see if how much sperm a female can hold before she explodes. In future, I'll be requesting one pairing only and the return of the live male.
I'm still not convinced that he had a successful insertion, but she's clearly not interested anymore. I'll just have to cross my fingers. I'd rather cut my losses and ship him out than to be out a male for no reason.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm still not convinced that he had a successful insertion, but she's clearly not interested anymore. I'll just have to cross my fingers. I'd rather cut my losses and ship him out than to be out a male for no reason.

I think their lack of interest is a good sign. Once she can feel sperm in her pouch, her interest in romance probably wanes quite a bit, hence the lower tolerance of males underfoot.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, she never laid her sac. Pretty safe to say that she's not gravid at this point. Unfortunately, she hasn't yet molted since that pairing... why unfortunately? Because @Haksilence was kind enough to send me another male on a loan.

The male is quite large, and I want those genes! My my girl wasn't exactly interested in pairing. She may be approaching premolt, because I saw some interesting behavior tonight during the pairing. The male was more than ready to go. He was tapping for a good fifteen minutes before she emerged, and just by the way she was walking I knew things weren't right. He went on tapping, they touched legs a few times, and he tried luring her away from her den. No aggression from her at all, just a very mild walk. However, she was constantly walking towards him and making him back up. Almost like he was telling him to leave, it was very interesting. Like most males, he didn't get the hint. She lost her patience, they got into a tussle, and he got the hell out of Dodge. He's unscathed, and in fact I can still hear him tapping (now in his own enclosure, of course). Good for him on keeping tabs where the exit was, that was impressive.

Given this behavior, I'm not sure that I'm going to try pairing soon again. He's still a strong male with plenty of life left in him. I'm going to give it a month or so and hope that my girl molts. She's since been moved into the hot/humid room to help push things along. She's certainly due for a molt, it'll be a year since her last in July.

Any other opinions?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Well, she never laid her sac. Pretty safe to say that she's not gravid at this point. Unfortunately, she hasn't yet molted since that pairing... why unfortunately? Because @Haksilence was kind enough to send me another male on a loan.

The male is quite large, and I want those genes! My my girl wasn't exactly interested in pairing. She may be approaching premolt, because I saw some interesting behavior tonight during the pairing. The male was more than ready to go. He was tapping for a good fifteen minutes before she emerged, and just by the way she was walking I knew things weren't right. He went on tapping, they touched legs a few times, and he tried luring her away from her den. No aggression from her at all, just a very mild walk. However, she was constantly walking towards him and making him back up. Almost like he was telling him to leave, it was very interesting. Like most males, he didn't get the hint. She lost her patience, they got into a tussle, and he got the hell out of Dodge. He's unscathed, and in fact I can still hear him tapping (now in his own enclosure, of course). Good for him on keeping tabs where the exit was, that was impressive.

Given this behavior, I'm not sure that I'm going to try pairing soon again. He's still a strong male with plenty of life left in him. I'm going to give it a month or so and hope that my girl molts. She's since been moved into the hot/humid room to help push things along. She's certainly due for a molt, it'll be a year since her last in July.

Any other opinions?
Maybe try and feed her heavily to trigger a molt, if she hasn't molted in a year I would be hesitant to try pairing them. If you can get her to molt before your next pairing then you should be in a much better position. I'm still researching lots on pokie breeding as I'm planning a few projects in the near future, I wouldnt risk trying to pair them that late in the females molt cycle, how long ago did your male mature, could he wait a month or two?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe try and feed her heavily to trigger a molt, if she hasn't molted in a year I would be hesitant to try pairing them. If you can get her to molt before your next pairing then you should be in a much better position. I'm still researching lots on pokie breeding as I'm planning a few projects in the near future, I wouldnt risk trying to pair them that late in the females molt cycle, how long ago did your male mature, could he wait a month or two?
Yeah, I knew it was a risk when I did it, but he's no spring chicken. I believe that he matured in April, although I may be corrected in that. The good news is that @cold blood still has the original male from the pairing almost a year ago, and he's still eating and tapping. So this species appears to be long lived as males.

I'm going to try feeding tonight. Fingers crossed for a refusal.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Yeah, I knew it was a risk when I did it, but he's no spring chicken. I believe that he matured in April, although I may be corrected in that. The good news is that @cold blood still has the original male from the pairing almost a year ago, and he's still eating and tapping. So this species appears to be long lived as males.

If she refuses that food, turn up the heater! Make the molt go faster. We wouldn't want a five month premolt on our hands. I would love to get a descendant of that pairing in a few years.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If she refuses that food, turn up the heater! Make the molt go faster. We wouldn't want a five month premolt on our hands. I would love to get a descendant of that pairing in a few years.
Hell, she better not take a few years :shifty:
It's already quite warm right now, my house is around 80-85F. Which is why I've had molts like crazy just these past couple weeks. My hot/humid room is kept at a constant 85F, so it'd be more the humidity to push her along.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Any other opinions?

It's likely she is near her molt and that's why she backed him down. Given how she responded I'd wait for her to molt before trying anything else. He should still be good even if it takes till July for her to molt. I'm about to try pairing my P.fasciata pair and he matured in February. He just made a new sperm web and is tapping like a crazed musician.

Good luck man.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
@EulersK with my girl (7" or so, she's quite large) her last molt cycle was 10 months on a fairly conservative feeding and temperature (74 degrees or so and 2-3 crickets every 10 days or so) so I'm sure she's coming close if it's been a year

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK with my girl (7" or so, she's quite large) her last molt cycle was 10 months on a fairly conservative feeding and temperature (74 degrees or so and 2-3 crickets every 10 days or so) so I'm sure she's coming close if it's been a year
When did he mature again?

Unfortunately, my girl ate last night. Obviously that doesn't mean much because I've had an accepted meal the day before a molt before, but still.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
When did he mature again?

Unfortunately, my girl ate last night. Obviously that doesn't mean much because I've had an accepted meal the day before a molt before, but still.
3/3/17. Plenty of time

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And the saga continues. My girl molted a few days back, and put on some really good size. Going to fatten her up and give that male another go. He's been a tapping fool these past weeks and she's always been kind to males, so I have high hopes.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
And the saga continues. My girl molted a few days back, and put on some really good size. Going to fatten her up and give that male another go. He's been a tapping fool these past weeks and she's always been kind to males, so I have high hopes.
good timing, my girl is finally starting to show signs. so im becoming more confident that she is gravid, takes forever!!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
:eek: At first i misread that t as an f and I was like uhh