P. striata Pairing Log

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, that was a stark difference from my C. cyaneopubescens mating attempts.

I introduced the male at 7:40PM, and I had a successful insertion by 8:00PM. She couldn't have been more responsive to him - she actively chased him down, wildly drumming the whole time. I'm pretty sure she came out within seconds of him drumming. The female fell during the insertion, but to my untrained eye, it looked like he did the deed. The male promptly stopped tapping and quickly got away, and the female retreated to her hide. Either they were both scared off, or all went as planned.

I'm going to pair them again, as I'd like it to be cleaner than that. Going to try it again this Sunday. I'm going to be shipping him off to @cold blood for his female, so I need to make sure my female has what she needs before that happens.

cold blood

Staff member
IME that's exactly what happens AFTER insertion, the male scrambles away and the female either does the same, or advances on him. I wouldn't risk pairing again, if she has what she needs...and she almost certainly does...he is likely to be seen as food next time.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
IME that's exactly what happens AFTER insertion, the male scrambles away and the female either does the same, or advances on him. I wouldn't risk pairing again, if she has what she needs...and she almost certainly does...he is likely to be seen as food next time.
It just seemed so quick - I've watched a million videos of pokies pairing, and they spent less than half the time actually performing than what I've seen. I think it was only a halfway decent insertion, you know? Or am I overthinking it?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well then that was... lackluster. Leaving them together overnight? They got it done in twenty minutes.

@Poec54, what say you? From what I'm reading, CB is right in saying that I shouldn't attempt a pairing again. But at the same time, I'm finding reports all over the place of people pairing (different genera) multiple times.

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Congrats! By my molt logs my penultimate male is about 35 days off his ultimate molt, and I've raised the heat a couple degrees and upped his feeding slightly, so maybe sooner.
There is gonna be a big influx in p. Striata slings :D

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well then that was... lackluster. Leaving them together overnight? They got it done in twenty minutes.

@Poec54, what say you? From what I'm reading, CB is right in saying that I shouldn't attempt a pairing again. But at the same time, I'm finding reports all over the place of people pairing (different genera) multiple times.

I leave Poec males in overnight (one night only) because I get bored watching the courtship rituals, which can go on and on. But...that's only if BOTH are courting. If only one is, I take the male out. I've had 3 Poec males (3 species) killed within seconds of being put in a female's cage, before they could even start drumming. The females ran out from inside their retreat, across the cage, and killed them. If the male is in the cage a while & doesn't strat drumming, I also take him out; without announcing his presence and intentions, he's likely to be assumed as an uninvited intruder (prey or predator). BTW, for all species I introduce males after dark.

I never pair up females a 2nd time, as that greatly increases the odds of the male being killed. Most of the males I've sent out on breeding loan were killed on their 2nd and 3rd pairing attempts, even with Poecs. Once a female has a pouch full of sperm, she's not necessarily going to be as romantically inclined.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I leave Poec males in overnight (one night only) because I get bored watching the courtship rituals, which can go on and on. But...that's only if BOTH are courting. If only one is, I take the male out. I've had 3 Poec males (3 species) killed within seconds of being put in a female's cage, before they could even start drumming. The females ran out from inside their retreat, across the cage, and killed them. If the male is in the cage a while & doesn't strat drumming, I also take him out; without announcing his presence and intentions, he's likely to be assumed as an uninvited intruder (prey or predator). BTW, for all species I introduce males after dark.

I never pair up females a 2nd time, as that greatly increases the odds of the male being killed. Most of the males I've sent out on breeding loan were killed on their 2nd and 3rd pairing attempts, even with Poecs. Once a female has a pouch full of sperm, she's not necessarily going to be as romantically inclined.
Well then, it looks like they're done. I was hesitant because of the fall, and he drummed twice after the fall before walking away. Just a reflex, I guess? I suppose I'll give her a huge meal and hope that she's got some eggs in the oven. Gestation on this species is roughly 6-9 months from what I've read, yeah? Unfortunately, that would be late Winter or early Spring, so it's going to be awhile before I have an idea.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Congratz on the mating, well done. ;) Now you just need your slop ass GBB to get his cojones together :eek::eek::p

As for second mating, no need as both cold blood and poec said.:) Yeah true, 6-9 month of waiting so you got to have patience :D

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Well then, it looks like they're done. I was hesitant because of the fall, and he drummed twice after the fall before walking away. Just a reflex, I guess? I suppose I'll give her a huge meal and hope that she's got some eggs in the oven. Gestation on this species is roughly 6-9 months from what I've read, yeah? Unfortunately, that would be late Winter or early Spring, so it's going to be awhile before I have an idea.
You should be able to tell at a reasonable time if you "candle" her (shine a ridiculously bright led flashing through her abdomen to see the eggs or the yellow glow of eggs) . Never personally used that method because I have yet to successfully breed any arboreals. But I've heard of it being used quite commonly with pokies.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You should be able to tell at a reasonable time if you "candle" her (shine a ridiculously bright led flashing through her abdomen to see the eggs or the yellow glow of eggs) . Never personally used that method because I have yet to successfully breed any arboreals. But I've heard of it being used quite commonly with pokies.
That's if I can get her up against the glass :rolleyes: She's a feisty one, I'd rather not try to wrangle her into a catch cup.

With three experienced breeders telling me I'm fine, I believe them! Hopefully she starts packing on the pounds pretty soon so I can stop thinking about it.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
That's if I can get her up against the glass :rolleyes: She's a feisty one, I'd rather not try to wrangle her into a catch cup.

With three experienced breeders telling me I'm fine, I believe them! Hopefully she starts packing on the pounds pretty soon so I can stop thinking about it.

Oh yeah I totally agree, I as just saying if your impatience overwhelms you you have options :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh yeah I totally agree, I as just saying if your impatience overwhelms you you have options :D
Which, frankly, it probably will!

Speaking of, before you mate your P. striata, I suggest you watch this. Then ask yourself; is it worth it?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Which, frankly, it probably will!

Speaking of, before you mate your P. striata, I suggest you watch this. Then ask yourself; is it worth it?
Territory works out great, you got the west, cold blood has the Midwest and I have the east :D the side completely devoid of tarantula enthusiasts

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay. Okay. Okay.

I'll admit when I was wrong. Against the advice of the experienced breeders on here, I went ahead and tried to pair them again. No tapping from either party - in fact, the female gave a threat posture from her hide. How kind of her to at least give a warning. Well, I got him out of there, and he promptly scurried up my arm and onto my shoulder. Thankfully, I had a catch cup and managed to get him off of me without harm. No harm, no foul. So! He's done with my female. He's all yours, @cold blood. Careful, he's a feisty one.

At least I know now that I have indeed quelled the human reaction to fling the spider across the room.